Part Six

The news of Thomas' passing was shocking. The postman from the village had been the one who had informed Alice. When Arthur had been told, he became solemn and had disappeared into his room, not coming out for hours.

Thomas' body had been found that morning inside of his cottage. It was said that his heart had suddenly given out. But Thomas had been a young man, healthy and strong. His passing was suspicious and inexplicable. None of it made sense as I pondered it.

Not being able to endure another minute inside of the house, I pulled on my coat and strode the long three miles to the village alone. Heathcliff had still not returned from the forest; another day and I would have to search for him.

The village contrasted greatly from the atmosphere of the estate. Despite the tragic news of Thomas' death, people mulled about and chatted with one another in the marketplace and children ran about playing games of fantasy. The sun's rays even touched the earth, while at the manor the clouds hung low, threatening a storm. I was grateful to be near others and wandered about for an hour, when the dark building of the village mortician stopped me. Mr. William Bailey, the undertaker himself, scrutinized me from behind the glass window. I had known Mr. Bailey for years and had found it strange that such a pleasant man ran such an unpleasant business.

"Well some man has to take the job, laddie!" He had responded with his thick brogue, when I had asked him the question years before.

Now, he motioned me with his hand to come inside. Hesitantly, I entered.

"Matthew it has been a long time!" He patted me affectionately on the shoulder and drew me into a quick embrace.

"Indeed it has been." I looked around at the many, but thankfully, empty coffins that lined the walls on display.

"I am terribly sorry for your families many misfortunes of late. Poor Mr. Greendale and before that, her." He referenced Madeline and his eyes were filled with pity.

"I thank you," I nodded and removed my hat, holding it in my hands.

"Thomas was such a young man too. 'Tis a mighty strange thing indeed." He shook his head and moved about the room.

"Mr. Bailey?" I found myself beginning to ask a question I prayed he would refuse, "Do you think I might see him. Just to pay my last respects."

"I don't know about that laddie." He sighed and I became relieved, "But I suppose ye may. Men have a strange fascination with death that cannot be explained. But while we have the chance, we wish to study it, even if it does repel us at first."

My uneasiness returned but my curiosity had to be sated and I followed Mr. Bailey into a shaded room. On a raised dais, a body shrouded in a sheet lay unmoving.

"I'll give ye a minute to pay your respects." Mr. Bailey then took leave and I was alone.

I approached the platform slowly. When I stood above it, a strange feeling overtook me. I did my best to ignore whatever emotion it was and with a shaky hand reached forward to draw back the sheet.

Thomas' lifeless skin was a gray color, almost the way Madeline's had been in my nightmare. His face was twisted in such a way that it has seemed like he had died screaming. I recognized the strange emotion that plagued me, for what it was had killed the man that lay in front of me. He had died of terror.

*******************************

I hurried back to the estate, walking faster than I had when I had left. The sky once more was bleak and overcast, and the birds that circled overhead seemed to mock me with their cries. The sight of Thomas' body had nearly frozen the blood in my veins and I had exited the building quickly, apologizing to Mr. Bailey as I left.

I had to return to London; for I had a feeling there I would be safe. Safe from her. I felt as if I was growing mad. The events happening challenged every belief I had ever held dear. But I had seen her apparition only just the night before standing behind Thomas. Now he was dead.

I pushed the weathered gate open hurriedly, before rushing up the steps and entering the house. I would convince Arthur to come to London with me. He was not safe here. I shut my eyes tightly as Thomas' lifeless corpse came to my mind. Yes, he must return with me. Alice could stay with her mother for a time until all of this madness could be solved with reason.

My pace quickened as I made my way to the study, my resolve strong, but I came to a halt when I saw that the oak door was nearly, but not quite, shut. Hushed voices could be heard within. Peering through the small crevice, I saw that it was Arthur speaking rapidly to Alice in nearly a whisper. I did not hear all that he said, but he paced the room as Alice remained still, watching him with a look of concern.

"You don't understand!" he came to a sudden halt in front of her, his voice rising, "I know she is dead and buried, but I still feel her presence. This house is poisoned by it! I feel as if she is watching me wherever I go every moment of every day. It's as if she has never left."

"But she is dead. I swear she is. Everything will return to the way it was, it may not be this week or next month, but they will." Alice stepped forward, and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, much like she had done the first night I had arrived as his own reached up to clasp it.

"I know she is dead..." Arthur spoke slowly, his voice trembling, "Perhaps I do not wish for things to return to the way they were. I was never happy in this place. There are few good memories here." With those words he pulled away from her and covered his eyes briefly with his hand.

"Then leave." Alice stepped forward with a boldness I had never seen from her and calmly placed her hands upon his face, "If you are not happy then find somewhere where you will be."

"Oh my little Alice, if it were only that simple." For the first time since my arrival he smiled, not mockingly, but softly.

"It can be if you wish for it." Her words were encouraging and full of hope and optimism, her eyes filled with a bright fire, and for that moment I respected her more than I ever had.

"I wish for it greatly." He placed a gentle kiss upon her brow as he spoke, "But wishes rarely come true now don't they? You should know that as much as I." With those words he stepped away from her once more and made his way to the window.

I decided to take my leave, for it felt wrong to stand there another moment. Before I left, I cast one last parting glance into the room. Arthur stared sullenly out into the yard and Alice remained where she had stood. A look of such sadness had replaced the determination of moments ago, that my heart nearly ached as well. The fire in her eyes had been diminished.

*****************************************************************

Later on that afternoon, I found myself alone in my room reading by the window when something caught my eye. Little specks had begun to fall from the sky. It was the first snow. The ground soon was covered in a fine blanket of white, even the great willow tree in the cemetery had become victim. It was as if the world outside had been transformed into some strange fairy land as snowflakes danced about the air. By then I perceived something foreign by the willow tree. At first glance it could have easily been missed, but as my line of vision focused more upon it, whatever feelings of happiness or wonder I had momentarily felt, changed to dread and trepidation.

A woman with skin as white as the snow and hair as black as a crow's feather gazed back at me, a knowing smile graced her ruby lips. She then turned away and began to dance, her gown flowing about her as she twirled among the tombstones. It appeared as if she danced upon the very graves themselves,mockingly. She danced until her image faded and disappeared into the white. With a cry of indignation, I pulled the drapieries shut.

There is Part Six!!! (: I know this was somewhat of an uneventful chapter but the next will be when the action really picks up! I plan on having two more parts added and it should be complete by Friday and that chapter will be an epilogue. Anyway thank you so much for those who have read, voted and commented! I really do appreciate it! -The_Queenbee