Ch. 9 - Cold Fingers + Movies

Michael + Ch. 9 - Cold Fingers + Movies

I couldn't get Calum Hood out of my head. Maybe it was just the woolgathering that was getting to me, or the things that Luke warned me about, but it wasn't sticking with me in the way it should have been. I managed to forget about him for a while on the nights I'd spend with Daryl watching old movies on Netflix or listening to Prince or The Beatles through our beaten up radio.

But at school, it was immensely impossible to avoid his big brown eyes, with the way they stood out in the projections of blue, green - even yellow. There were moments when I just wanted to give it all up and compliment him, persuade him into believing he's the most beautiful human being in existence, but I know he wouldn't give into something like that, as it's coming from me, and not his boyfriend.

I'm still trying to figure out the truth behind why it is that Luke Hemmings hates me. It can't just revolve around the fact that I'm into his boyfriend, but has to be something more; makes me wonder if we were meant to be rivals or enemies to begin with. I can't stand him, he can't stand me. That's the way it's supposed to be.

I was sitting in the corner of the gym again, my wheelchair facing the wall since my presence bothered everyone around me. At a time like this, I could say except for Calum, but he was too busy clinging onto Luke and giggling into his ear for no apparent reason. I wished, badly, desperately, that I could be in his place for at least a day to experience what it's like. But then again, that'd never happen. He's way out of my league, and is only interested in football players. It'd have to be a miracle for me to become one again, honestly.

"As you all know, movie night is tonight, and the bake sale is tomorrow. I expect to see each and every one of you there helping the girls out." I could hear groaning coming from every football player in this class. The only person who didn't seem to be complaining was Calum, but he was always on the positive side of things. Or at least he was at school. Outside of this hell, he has a vapor with him, a frown or scowl on his face and is secretly as depressed as I am. He could be worse, but I'll never know. Calum covers it up pretty well.

"The goal is to raise three hundred dollars. The check will be split in half, so we profit off of what you put into it. So I suggest you don't screw things up this time." The only time it was successful was when I was on the team. They have no clue about what they're missing.

Yes sir was heard in the distance, but I only rolled my eyes. I would have enjoyed helping out, if it weren't for the stuck up cheerleaders that acted like complete witches or brats. And the worst part about it all was that most of them were dating the football players, which was practically a typical high school love story. Except without the love, and more of just the hormonal kind of benefits-relationship type. If that makes any sense.

"W-What can I do?" I spoke up, suddenly feeling small under the gaze of everyone else. They all knew about my crush on Calum, and despite it being weeks, I'm still a joke. Yet Calum seems to be the only one who doesn't mind and it's tricking me out. There are points where I wonder if he was even at school that day, or if he was just pretending that I didn't like him so that our 'friendship' wouldn't change. Either way, it was bothering me that he didn't act on my feelings like every other person. Specifically Luke. I still have a bruised cheek because of that bastard.

"Well, the bake sale will be pretty hot outside tomorrow, so you can put yourself to use by holding a fan for them." I wanted to respond, but I couldn't. Not with the way three quarters of the class were laughing at his comeback. Being in a wheelchair sucks. Actually, just generally being Michael Clifford sucks, and I can't find a single advantage about being me.