Chapter Twelve

Wide eyed, Mystery ran out of her room to see what happened. Instead of seeing chaos, she saw Allen standing in the middle of the main room. His wings had regrown and he seemed happy. He jumped in the air, testing his wings. They were weak for now. Mystery smiled and quietly walked back to her dorm room.

She walked back into her room and sighed, leaning on the closed door. Conquest appeared in front of her and she tensed.

"I've decided my boon."
"Alright. Just say it, then."
"Don't fall in love with my brother and don't marry him. That is my reward from you."
Mystery looked down. "Alright. Can you please get out of my room now?"
"Sorry."
"Don't say sorry to me. Never say sorry to me."

Suddenly, Famine and Conquest disappeared. Mystery locked the door and pulled a box out of her closet.

Allen knocked on the door. "Are you alright, Love?"
"G-go away. Please." She began rummaging through the box.
Allen didn't seem changed. "What's wrong?"
Mystery inhaled sharply and pulled a syringe out of the box. "Nothing. Nothing's wrong."
"I love you, Mystery."
Tears trickled down her rosey cheeks and fell to the floor. She had no idea what she was doing anymore. "I can't love you."
This caught Allen off guard. "Wha-why?"
"I'm your opposite." She grit her teeth as she plunged the needle into her arm. "I'm sorry."
"That doesn't mean anything!"

The Archdemon landed on the ground with a small thud.
"Mystery, are you still there?"
One of the snow globes on her shelf fell and shattered into a billion little pieces.
"Are you alright?!"
"..."

The syringe rolled under the door, still containing a bit of the golden liquid inside.
"Eh...?" Allen kneeled to pick it up.
Alex came running. "What's wrong? I heard something break. Are you alright? Is Mystery alr-"
He paled at the sight of the syringe and picked the lock to Mystery's room.
"Ooooh dear..."
Allen stood up, his hair slowly turning black.
"Allen, what's wrong?"
"Nothing... nothing at all. Everything's peachy." His voice sounded devoid of emotion.
"No, it's something. Please tell me? I want to help."
Allen's eyes started turning white along with his wings.
Alex sighed and looked into the room. "Oh.. someone must have upset her..."

Allen's face was downcast. He stepped into the room and disappeared.
Alex shook his head and walked into the room. He picked Mystery up and carefully put her on her bed. The syringe had been stepped on when Alex entered the room. He cleaned up the broken glass, not noticing the golden liquid seeping into the rug.