Chapter 4

IV

This time around Shen Liangsheng did not keep Ch'in Ching waiting for long - he didn't want to either - driving to Sheng Kung again a few days later for a casual dinner.
There were four cold dishes on the table when they arrived at the cozy, second-floor private room at Yühuat'ai . The dishes looked simple, too, not like a feast; truly a casual meal.
"What a good man you are, Mr. Shen, watching out for my wallet," Ch'in Ching commented after taking his seat.
"You treated me to crosstalk last time. Let me treat you this time."
"I refuse to believe all it takes is a few jokes and some tea."
"Well, if you really feel the need to make up for it," Shen Liangsheng said as he poured a glass of yangho tach'ü for him, "Drink up."
"Very well. It was I who broke the promise last time. I should be drinking three glasses but now it's only one. I'm actually getting the long end of the stick." Without reluctance, Ch'in Ching finished the spirit.
"You're not getting off that easily." Shen Liangsheng filled it up again, adding, "It's still three glasses."
"Come on, three glasses, one glass, what's the big deal?" Ch'in Ching broke out laughing. The glass wasn't too big and two more wouldn't make a difference, so he drank it all as told.

Yühuat'ai offered authentic Huaiyang cuisine. Yangho tach'ü also originated from Chiangsu and had a deceiving, velvety finish. Ch'in Ching drank three glasses on an empty stomach and only felt the strength of the liquor after it settled in. His body began to heat up starting from his stomach. His head was still clear but his face had gone red.
"Have some food." Shen Liangsheng picked some things into Ch'in Ching's bowl, thinking that alcohol was bad on an empty stomach even though his ultimate goal was getting the man drunk.
The two ate as they chatted and Shen Liangsheng got a few more glasses into Ch'in Ching. By the time they finished three hot dishes, the schoolmaster was tipsy. When Shen Liangsheng filled his glass again, he quickly made an excuse, "I can't. I still have lessons tomorrow and papers to mark tonight."
"It's actually my birthday today." Shen Liangsheng did not falter the slightest. The clear liquid soon reached the rim of the glass. " Accompany me at the cost of thy life just this once, Mister Ch'in."
"That's not how you use the proverb," Ch'in Ching laughed. "Plus, is it really your birthday? You're lying, aren't you?"
"You're the teacher. How dare I lie to you? It's you doing the lying."
"Just a second. You shouldn't accuse without proof, Mr. Shen. When have I ever lied to you?"
Frankly, Shen Liangsheng had not given too much thought about his statement but started to seriously consider after hearing Ch'in Ching's reply. His conclusion was: "You haven't yet and I'd like to keep it that way. You're not allowed to lie to me in future."
"How old are you, mister? You're acting like a bratty child."
"Will be twenty-six after today."
"Two years older than me, huh... Wait, is it actually your birthday?" Shen Liangsheng's wholehearted answer made Ch'in Ching question with surprise.
"According to the Gregorian, it is," Shen Liangsheng kept a straight face while continuing the tall tale. "My family only celebrates the lunar birthday, so I only have Teacher Ch'in to keep me accompany on the Gregorian one."
"Yeah, sure." Ch'in Ching chuckled as he shook his head, but he still raised his glass. "Happy birthday."
The two clinked glasses. Afterwards, Ch'in Ching did not reject any alcohol that was poured into his glass. Shen Liangsheng was the birthday man after all, so he decided to "accompany him at the cost of his life" just this once.
Shen Liangsheng had built up a tolerance through the business and socializing and was far from his limit. Meanwhile, Ch'in Ching was fairly drunk. Some drunks cry but Ch'in Ching only smiled. A cute dimple found itself on his cheek.
His head was heavy, making his vision blurry too. He took his glasses off to wipe them but did not replace them, instead getting lost gazing at Shen Liangsheng's hand.
Shen Liangsheng had just put some prawns into his bowl when he noticed Ch'in Ching staring downward with squinted eyes. The red mole by his eye and the light blush on his cheeks aroused something deep within.
"What are you looking at?"
"Shen Liangsheng," Ch'in Ching looked up. "Has anyone ever told you, you have beautiful fingers?"
"No," Shen Liangsheng raised a brow. "But I have been told they are very talented."
"Talented?" Ch'in Ching was confused.
"Women tell me that in bed." Shen Liangsheng was being very straightforward now. "Do you get it now?"
"I honestly don't know how you say that straight-faced."
Ch'in Ching's face grew a darker shade of red. He put his spectacles back on awkwardly and dug into his food again. Somehow he could feel Shen Liangsheng's heated eyes on himself but then he thought it was merely because he was hot from the alcohol.