Nothing Gold Can Stay

A/N: I REALLY want to thank all of you that actually read this; I really appreciate it. Although I'd love if you could comment! Comment, Comment, COMMENT!! >:D I'm trying to pick up on all of my stories again as well as possibly starting a new one, so please bare with me!

Now, here's the next chappie :)

***

Verity

"Wow," I muttered to myself as I sat on the fluffy hotel bed. "Maybe Harley's life isn't as perfect as it appears to be...."

The mental image of Rick blocked my mind's eye from any other memories, resulting in my predictably daily aggravation. I clenched the cloud-like comforter in my hands tightly, trying to convince myself that turning back and hunting down Rick was morally wrong.

What would I tell Harley? That I saw her husband cheating on her? That'd crush her! Nothing bad has ever happened to Harley before, so how would she take it when she found out? That is.... if she found out.

"Damn it, Verity." I face palmed myself harshly. "Don't think like that!"

I've always been exceptionally selfish but it had become a habit at an early age. Harley was given anything she wanted and when I asked for things, I was given nothing. That was how I began getting used to it--I would ask for things I wanted, although I knew I would never receive them. It was just how things were and even though I wanted them to change, I never get anything I want from anyone. If I wanted it, I had to get it myself. The only problem with that is that I've never succeeded in getting anything worth something.

I heaved a heavy sigh and thew myself down onto the matress, sprawling my limbs out like a starfish.

"What am I going to do now?" I raised my head from where it was flattened atop the matress and looked over to the bed side table. Reluctantly, I crawled over to the night stand and opened the drawer. Inside I found a Bible and a phone book.

Well that's a bit odd, I thought to myself.

I opened the phone book and skimmed to the section labeled by the letter 'H' for 'Hughes', that was Rick's last name. I clenched the pages of the book tightly as anger pulsated through my veins from my encounter with that ass hat earlier.

I ran my fingers down the list of last names until I got to 'Hughes'. Skimming the section of families with the same last name, I soon found what I was looking for: Rick and Harley Hughes.

"Harley Hughes," I frowned, grimacing, even her name sounded perfect. Grabbing the phone from where it was placed on the wall above the night stand, I began dialing the number. Anxiously, I began counting the rings until someone picked up over the other line.

"Hello?" Harley's voice was soft and sweet like honey.

I couldn't tell her what Rick did, at least, not now. Not yet. She may be my sickeningly perfect sister, but that wasn't her fault. She didn't deserve my dislike and foul treatment. I suppose the only real reason she bothered me was jealousy, but that didn't mean I wasn't nervous talking to her. My guilt for ignoring her and pushing her away was eating me out, I could barely breath.

"Hello?" She repeated again. I tried to calm myself before I spoke so that I didn't freak her out.

"H-Harley?" I stammered. "I-It's me. V-Verity." Way to sound normal, Verity. I inwardly face palmed and ran my free hand through my hair to calm my nerves.

"Verity? Why are you calling me from the San Filice Hotel...in Seattle? Is everything all right?" God bless her. She sounded so concerned.

"Uh..." I momentarily went brain dead, unsure of how to respond.