Chapter 18 - Memories

I've been avoiding everyone for about two weeks now. We have been communicating by leaving notes on the kitchen bench for each other as I don't have a phone.

The last note I got was from Jamie telling, not asking, me to be home today as we were getting visitors. I had an inkling of who it was. Xavier mentioned that their Aunt and Uncle were coming for a visit soon.

So here I am, in my room reading, dreading when the door bell rings. I haven't said more than two words to them. When their family arrive I don't want it to be awkward but I still need to distance myself. Maybe I can excuse myself and go for a walk while their relatives are here.

The doorbell rings and I sigh.

I close my book, and head out of my room. Everyone is in the lounge by time I enter. No one has noticed me yet because I snuck in.

I look over to the two new faces and something in the back of my mind tells me I know these two people.

They do look vaguely familiar but I put it down to possibly having seen pictures of them.

Xavier is the first to notice me standing here and instantly grabs my hand and drags me to the rest of the group.

"Isa! Come meet out Auntie and Uncle."

Liv gives me a slight sympathetic smile for Xav's behavior. While Jamie is looking slightly confused and concerned, as if he wasn't expecting me to actually leave my room.

The two new faces chuckle at Xavier's excitement.

"Hey, I'm Claire and this is my husband Peter." Peter offers his hand and I shake it, I'm them wrapped up in a hug from Claire. Still not used to people hugging me I tense. If Claire notices she doesn't make comment.

I pull away and offer a small smile. "Isadora."

"Now there is a name you don't hear everyday. I think I've only heard it once before, a young girl we knew had the same name." Peter says.

Liv then ushers us to the dinning table where she has prepared lunch for us. Spread out before us is an array of salads and some pulled meats. Looks to be beef and pork. There is a pile of rolls too.

'It looks like I can't get out of this as easily as I thought.'

I decided to stay for lunch as not to be rude then I'll excuse myself as they all catch up.

"That is a fairly unique name. I hope that young girl is okay. I think about her everyday since you found her thirteen years ago Peter." Claire states continuing the conversation from before.

Peter gives Claire's hand a reassuring pat a top the table. Liv and Jamie share confused looks and Xavier is shaking. I can't tell if its from excitement or an effect from not having his bracelet on, suppressing his abilities.

I clear my throat gaining everyone's attention. "Liv this looks good. You really gotta teach me how to cook one day."

Her green eyes widen, as if realising no one has started eating.

"Please everyone dig in while the meat is hot!"

Then she turns her attention onto me narrowing her eyes slightly.

"Well next time when you're not so busy I will happily give you a lesson."

Everyone but me starts eating and an awkward silence falls. I stare at my hands, not feeling like eating now that Liv caught me out.

"So Auntie Claire, I feel like there is a story behind this other Isadora you knew." Xavier tries to break the tension. "Can you tell us?"

From the corner of my eye I see Jamie looking at me. An indistinguishable expression on his face.