Chapter 3

Dedication: pauly4ever! Thank you for your message! I know a dedication is small, but your message made my day! Thank you!

Chapter 3

My walls came down so quickly, but I didn't mind the exposure. Life was easier, lighter without every inch of my flesh covered by spiked sheets of steel. Little by little, Jake peeled back my armor, and I didn't fight him on that conquest.

With my hands held high above my head, I welcomed the closeness; the breeze felt so refreshing against my skin. I felt like a bird set free from its self-imposed cage, and I wanted to throw away the key and never look back.

The two of us spent most of our afternoons together. I never thought it would be this simple to welcome someone back into my life, but Jake just fit so snugly. It was almost as if he were this perfectly shaped puzzle that just fell into its right place.

There was no work required; it felt so effortless.

On many occasions, Jake escorted me through overgrown trails I never knew existed right outside my home. We spent countless hours just wandering through the park; at times, we tried to get ourselves lost just for the sake of having to find our way back. Though, Jake always seemed to know where he was going.

We would walk hand-in-hand through the park in almost complete silence simply taking in our surroundings; though, the silences were never awkward; they was truly pleasant. Our walks quickly became my favorite thing in the world. I even broke my camera out of its case for the first time since I moved, and it felt great! I found that Jake hated having his photo taken, but that didn't pose a problem.

I never liked the way staged photos came out anyway; they always felt so stiff, so contrived. Candid photos were my favorite. They allowed you a brief, genuine moment with whomever you were photographing. It was in these moments that you could see a person for who they really were.

I won't lie; the occasional make out sessions against a tree weren't too shabby either.

Our nights were occupied with cuddles and long zombie movie marathons. No matter how many times I watched the same films over and over; I never enjoyed them any less.

Jake even introduced me to all the Tarantino movies I missed as well as almost every film Leonardo DiCaprio graced.

"You've got a thing for Leonardo, huh?" I asked one night about thirty minutes into Shutter Island.

Jake lifted a brow and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. "He devotes himself totally to his roles," he began almost defensively; though, the smile on his lips hinted at the lighthearted nature of his words, "Plus, he's pretty to look at."

Reaching into his lap, I grabbed a fistful of popcorn and shoved it into my mouth. "He's so old though."

Placing the bowl onto the ground, Jake gently pushed me back onto the couch and hovered overtop me. There was a playfully dark glint in his eyes. "Are you callin' my husband old?" His brows shot up, almost daring me.

Unable to contain my smile, I shrugged. "I just call 'em as I see 'em."

Instantaneously, Jake began to tickle me mercilessly. "What'd you say about my husband?" He challenged. "I don't think I heard you correctly."

Bucking and laughing wildly, I struggled to wiggle out from under his weight and away from his dancing fingers. "Stop," I begged as tears formed in my eyes.

Laughing, Jake continued. "I'm sorry; I can't understand what you're sayin', Faron." He ceased his attack for a moment, allowing me a brief moment catch my breath. "Did you say tickle you more?"