I'm Here

Jinyoung walked in the hospital room Mark was staying in a bit scared. What was he gonna see? Was he prepared for this? Shut up and go in already. 

Everything was surprisingly peaceful, though Jinyoung could do without the weird smell that came with all hospitals. At least it seemed to die down when he neared where Mark was resting. The boy was sleeping with multiple limbs in various places, and his head was leaning to one side, drool spilling from his mouth. Jinyoung chuckled at the sight and sat down in a chair next to the bed.

"Hey," Jinyoung half whispered. Mark didn't stir at all. Jinyoung tried to call a little louder and closer to Mark's ear, but to no avail.  Jinyoung eventually got fed up and pinched the boy's cheeks, earning a groan from the other.

"Yah! Get up I've been calling you for a good minute!" Jinyoung hoped he wasn't too loud, though. For one, he wanted to be invited back into this place afterward, and two, he didn't know if Mark was sensitive to loud noises or something. 

Mark woke with a jolt, eyes bleary from sleep. "Oh hey," he giggled. Jinyoung sighed and chuckled at his friend's reaction. Mark had a little less color and energy than he usually did, which was saying something. But it was to be expected for one who has ended up in the hospital, especially after a stroke. His movements were uncoordinated, and Jinyoung could tell by the two words Marks spoke that his speech was going to be deterred for a long while after this. More than anything, he was incredibly relieved for his best friend.

"How long were you waiting for?" Mark asked while cringing at his voice again. That has to be fixed.

"I honestly don't know; I'm pretty sure the sun went down and came back up at least once, though. Mark hit his chest and pouted in disapproval while Jinyoung just smiled, his eyes crinkling. Mark's look then turned solemn so Jinyoung thought of something they could talk about.

"You know what I was just thinking of?" Mark raised his head in question. "How we met." Mark gave a warm smile while reminiscing the good old days. 

"Your freshman year, right?"

"Yeah, it's funny. After you took care of me and left, I went crazy trying to find you. Do you know how ironic it was that you had been sitting at the same lunch table the whole time?" Mark laughed, and Jinyoung followed. Afterward, Jinyoung sighed and put his head on the edge of the bed. Now you're getting sad. Nice going.

"Jinyoung?"

When he looked up, Mark saw tears threatening to spill over on Jinyoung's face. He was speechless, but Jinyoung just laughed. Laughed a little too loud, a little too much, as if he was a little too crazy. But he probably was. When he was done laughing, a small smile was still on his face, and there was a small, slightly concerned one on Mark's as well, especially since the tears were now running down his face with no signs of stopping.

"Jinyoung, are you-"

"Yeah," he breathed, "I'm good, it's just you don't understand how scared I've been after all this." His head was facing down now as if he was searching for the answer to all this in the hospital bed sheets. 

"You- you are one of the most of the most important people in my life, I just need you to know that, okay?" His head was still down, so Jinyoung didn't notice the change slowly taking place in Mark's demeanor. "I was beginning to lose hope in humanity, inch by inch. I tried, I did, but it seemed like no one cared about me or even tried to. It's the same with my family. I talk, but it's like no one's listening. They all just disregard my worries and feelings. I don't know if it was because I'm the youngest in the house or what, but I just didn't matter.

 "I felt like that. And I would've continued to think that I didn't matter if you hadn't come and shown me otherwise. Of all the people, Mark, you chose me to befriend, to care for. You were always there for me, and then suddenly," he choked, " you weren't, and you were on the ground, and I didn't know if you would be back, Mark I-"

"Jinyoung." Mark's voice was soft yet stern, and Jinyoung could hear the fear in his voice. He slowly lifted his head up from the bed, a bit afraid of what he would see show up on his best friend's face. However, he didn't have to be worried about that because he had an armful of Mark in a heartbeat. His initial shock soon withered down when Mark suddenly started babbling to him in words he barely understood because of the slur and the fact that Jinyoung's shirt muffled his mouth. He caught a couple of phrases; "I'm here" and "I was scared too". 

Mark was crying into him; Jinyoung was sure of it. That wasn't good because now there were two troubled and emotionally unstable teenage boys in Mark's room, and Jinyoung wouldn't have it. He let Mark vent his feelings a bit longer, as well as relished the feeling of the boy in his arms, then pushed Mark off of him (not too hard) and put on his best boyish smile. Mark gave Jinyoung his best one too, only his had more mischief in his. Before he could give it any more thought Mark had already leaned in and pressed his soft lips on Jinyoung's cheek. 

JInyoung's eyes widened, as did as his mouth, but nothing came out, and so he sat there gaping while Mark laughed shyly. Eventually, the reality of it all caught up to Jinyoung and his head was back on the bed, but not before Mark couldn't catch the blush on his cheeks.

"Cute."

The nurse suddenly burst through the door and announced that visiting hours were over. Jinyoung immediately made a pouting face at his friend, but Mark shoved him away with no mercy. "Hurry up and leave so you can come back."

"Hurry up and get better so I won't have to."

With those words, JInyoung turned and left, his heart way lighter than it had been when he had first come in. He knew that somehow, everything was gonna be okay, even if it took time. They were gonna be okay.