Chapter 6

"How did you get this number?" Amelia forced through gritted teeth into her phone. She had moved down the road a few meters, but I could still hear her in the silence of the landscape. The hand not holding her phone was clenched at her side, knuckles white.

"Bullshit," she barked suddenly. "Don't call me again, I'll be changing my number." With that she hung up, shoving her phone violently back into her pocket. I wondered whether I should say anything, anger and pain were clearly written on her face. Amelia had completely shut down. She wouldn't look at me and began to gather the dogs. I just stood there as she got them in the car and tossed her shovel in the back. Before I could react, she was already in the front seat with the engine running. I scrambled to catch up, hoping she wouldn't leave me behind in the cold.

We were back to the house faster than should have been possible. The tires struggled to grip the slick snow multiple times, but Amelia neither noticed or cared. The car was securely back in the garage before she broke the silence.

"Rick's number is on the fridge, he'll have to help you get loose," Amelia informed me. She closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. She opened her mouth as if to add something but seemed to decide against it.

I reached out to put my hand on her shoulder. I hated to see anyone like this, so obviously distressed but unwilling to seek out comfort. She dodged me instinctively, getting out of the car before my hand made contact. Amelia was inside the house in a moment. The dogs were franticly pacing in the back of the vehicle, sensing their owner's change in mood. Being left behind in the car added to their frustration.

By the time I stepped past the threshold into the house Amelia had disappeared into its depths without a word.