1,100 Miles Left

Isabelle

I came to the conclusion that I should keep my distance from Lake. Something about him made me nervous. I didn't know if it was the way he looked or the way he looked at me, but I figured that either way, something was going to happen that I wasn't ready for.

We were sitting in an IHOP when I finally decided that this just wasn't going to work out - I was going to need a new ride.

"After this, I think I'm just going to find a new ride." I said to him.

His eyes snapped up from his menu, "What? Why?" I opened my mouth to give him some bullsh.it answer, but he beat me to it, "Is this about last night? Because I'm really sorry about that. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable or anything."

"Well you did. Don't act sorry, either. I heard you laughing at me when I walked into the bathroom. I'm not going to stick around while you try to get in my pants. I'm not like that. There are almost exactly eleven-hundred miles to get from here to Texas and I've decided that I'm not comfortable enough with you to go that far."

His face turned from apologetic to angry, "Well fine then, have it your way. Good luck finding someone else that's going to take you as far as I am." He stood up and walked out of the restaurant just as the waitress was coming to take our order. I followed him. I don't know why, because I was planning on staying away from him. I really wasn't expecting that kind of reaction - in fact I expected him to be totally indifferent to me wanting to go with someone else.

He was sitting on his motorcycle when I walked through the doors, his face was drawn up in confusion and anger. I walked up to him slowly, he hadn't noticed I was there yet. He was so mad. What did he have to be mad about? We just met yesterday. I felt my anger bubbling up. Who did he think he was? Getting angry over me wanting to find another ride was ridiculous. He had no right to be mad about this.

"Why are you so mad?" I demanded. His head snapped up in surprise. "I mean, I'm being perfectly reasonable, and your acting like a child."

He scoffed, "Oh, I'm acting like a child? Some harmless flirting and your running away? Why are you actually leaving?"

"That was not harmless flirting, Lake. That was you making moves on me trying to get me into bed. I know guys like you. You sleep with anything that moves."

"You don't know anything about me. We just met yesterday."

"Exactly! We just met yesterday, so why are you so offended? You don't know me, I don't know you."

His face turned softer, and he smirked slightly, "Maybe I want to know you, Isabelle."

I sucked in a breath. His words brought back memories that I wished weren't mine. I thought of the only person that ever hurt me as much as my parents did. "I want to know you Isabelle. I want to know all of you."

I crossed my arms. "What if I don't want you to know me?" I asked with a bit of bite in my voice.

He sighed, "Look, I know I was kind of creepy last night, okay? I made assumptions about you that I shouldn't have. It won't happen again. Now we made a deal that I was going to take you to Midland, I plan on keeping that deal." He smirked, "Besides, I've already gotten used to the company."

I said nothing, I only looked at him.

"How far did you say it was? Eleven-hundred miles? Why don't we start counting? That way you know how much longer you have to spend with me." Then he smiled at me. A real genuine smile, not a smirk. And while I was still kind of mad at him, I have to admit, it was stunning, and I found myself smiling back.

---

Maybe it was his words, or the fact that he gave me a real smile rather than a smirk, or maybe is was that I had already gotten used to his company as well, but I found myself going down the highway with him again on the way to Kansas City.

Author's Note:

Hello, everyone! How are guys? Good? No? Yes? Yes! Good!
What's this? Updating in less than a week? I know it's short, but I'm actually kinda proud of this chapter - so no hating.
Don't forget to let me know what you thought of the chapter and point out the typos!!!
You guys know the drill by now right? Vote, comment, etc...
Now, Go Away, I'm Reading <3