Leave my body..

2.

Whilst her mother made sure that all the food was packed, Annalise made sure her I-pod was fully charged. It was the only salvation she would get on this 7 hour drive to Scotland. She double checked that all her electricals where in her bag, including her car I-pod charger. She picked up her bag walking into her sisters’ room without knocking. This always got on Tamia’s, Annalises 1 year older sisters nerves, but today she was preoccupied. She was on the phone to her boyfriend.

Annalise could tell Tamis always played with chain he had gotten her on their anniversary. She would swing with the chain around her neck with her hands anytime she spoke to him or about him. When Tamia was stressed, Annalise noted that she would turn the promise ring her boyfriend also got her when they first started dating. Annalise thought it was cute but their Dad hated it.

“I love you too baby.” Annalise made a face. Tamia wasn’t an emotional person. So you could understand everyone’s shock when she bought home a boy. You could also understand how everyone nearly had a heart attack when she announced to her family proudly that she was in love. That was nearly 5 years ago now though. “See you soon, bye.” She hung up, but stayed near the window playing with her necklace. That meant she was thinking about him. She finally turned with a grin and looked at her younger sister on the bed.

“Why are you wearing jeans missy?” Tamia asked crossing her hands. Tamia knew that out of the two sisters she was more confident. Annalise’s actions were more calculated whereas she worked on impulse.

“I’m not hot.” Tamia nodded knowingly at her younger sister. She knew the real reason why she was wearing jeans, but she didn’t say mention it further.

“You look nice though.” Annalise complimented Tamia. Tamia thanked her and scrutinized herself in the mirror on more time. She threw Annalise her phone. Annalise stood up and turned the camera on. Tamia immediately put her hand on her lip and slightly pouted. She did it so naturally, almost like a professional. Annalise couldn’t help but he slightly jealous at the way she looked the camera dead in the eye. She knew that when Tamia uploaded this onto Facebook later on that everyone would comment, that all the girls would ask to wont he picture and all the boys would tell her to inbox them, knowing that she had a boyfriend.

“Girls! Time to go” Tamia and Ann shouted back to their mother that they’d be down in a while. Ann carried both their bags as Tamia was now texting her boyfriend, even though she had just gotten off the phone to him.

*

Annalise felt her mother watch her walk in her jeans. She sat in the car avoiding her mother’s eyes. She knew the second she did her mother would say something she didn’t want to hear. They had been driving for a while, only now getting onto the motor way when her mother burst. She couldn’t keep her thoughts to herself for any longer.

“Thank God you did the sensible thing and covered that God awful scar.” Annalise gulped down the tears that dared to fall. They almost did. Even if they did, no one would have noticed, over the years Annalise had learnt how to cry silently. Her phone vibrated on her lap. She unlocked it and read the message from her sister.

“Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you.” Annalise read it once. Then over again and over again. She looked up at her sister. Tamia was having a conversation with her father as if nothing had happened. Annalise was grateful she hadn’t said it out loud. There was solidarity within the message she sent her. Tamia always knew how to deal with her younger sister. She was kind of perfect like that.

Annalise placed the ear phones in her ears silencing her parents, she could see their mouths moving but Florence + the Machine played instead. The Dogs Days Are Over. This was by far Ann’s favourite song. She could spend a day listening to it over and over again. She imagined herself running in the fields that the car was driving past at great speed. She imagined herself dancing with painted traditionalist Aboriginals in the middle of nowhere. She imagined herself diving somewhere, feeling the cool water hit her.