FFTP Chapter: 25

Fallen For The Prey

Evera's POV:

                        My heart skipped a beat and head started to spin. For the brief moment, I wished that I was dreaming and that the thing in front of my eyes will disappear into the fine dust when I woke up. However, the cheerful voice of the crowd keeps on reminding me it, not the dream that I could flee from...

"No...! It's not impossible. It can't be!" I gasped at the floor-length ball gown that was smiling at me in the deep red colour as it was made of using many brightest white roses and dyed with the scarlet blood. It was hanging proudly on the stand accompanying by the gleaming golden heels with the hand-written note. I don't know what is more terrifying, the dress I saw in my dreams or the note bearing those words 'Wearing my favourite colour... Wait for me.'

"Is...She....She... me? It's me... The women...in my dreams...Is me?...If...If... It's me..." I muttered abruptly; those words were continued barging out of my mouth without my will. Slowly, my wobbling knees gave up its duty of supportiveness and hit the floor...

"How is she?" I woke up to the April's voice and found myself lying on the bed in our room.

"Not to worry. She is fine. Her BP dropped and she is very weak... Look, your friend is coming back." Said the voice of middle-aged women who is very tan, slender and having shoulder length curly black hair.

"Ms. Wilson... Can you hear me?" She said smiling brightly at me. I gave a weak nod and sat straight on the bed holding my head, which is throbbing painfully.

"I'm Harriet; Doctor. While I check-out, you were fainted on the. Therefore, I gave you the first aid. Since you are very weak, your blood pressure suddenly dropped. Take this medicine thrice a day and rest properly." She said still flashing a warm smile.

"I'll be staying today. So, any emergencies; Contact me on this number or call the lounge. They have doctors here." She gave her card to April and hurried off the door. I convinced April and Jules to attend the spa as we planned but without me, since I'm very tired. After the long arguments, they accepted the fact I need to rest and left me alone. The complete silence of the room helped me to think without distraction. At the corner of the room, there stood the gorgeous and vibrant red ball dress surrounded by the bustling bouquets.

"If the dress is real; then, those men...They must be real. Who are they? Who might be that dead man on the floor?" I murmured myself searching through the dress and bouquets for any other notes of the sender but I found nothing other than the notes says 'Wait for be' which is Davien's final words on the voice message.

"If... If... Davien sent this dress... then... is he going to kill someone or to be killed by someone.... No...No... It's ridiculous! Why I'm thinking like this...!" I scolded myself for portraying Davien like this. My heart started to ache at that thought; I can't watch him either murderer or the victim. After an extensive thought, I have decided to avoid the dress at all cost.

"I'm not going to wear this!" I said firmly grabbing the spare sheet on the cupboard and poured it over the dress to avoid even the minuscule glimpse of the red colour. It was five past twelve in the noon, only eight hours more for the ball. As the time passes, I have started to feel the eeriness of being in same room with that. So I decided to join April and Jules. To my luck, they booked for three of us and our appointed was half an hour after I joined them. Luckily, the rest of the day went swamped with the spas, lunch, and practices and I barely had time to think about the dream or the dress. When we reached our room, it was already quarter past five in the evening.

"Oh no! We are going to be late for the Ball. We better hurry." Jules cried looking at the clock and my stomach dropped as if missing few stairs. In two hours, The thought, I'm going to present my dancing in front of hundreds of people itself erased the every dance steps I have practiced million times. I quickly shook the thought and begun to dress with my sky blue ball dress.

"Are you sure you are not going to wear this?" April asked for the zillionth time.

"Ape, please. I'm not gonna wear this and don't ask me why. I have a bad feeling about this dress." I answered her firmly so that she won't ask me again and it worked. We helped each other doing makeup and hair. It was seven o'clock. We heard the doorbell rang and found Pete standing with the flowers to escort her. One of the rules for the Royal Ball is to enter the Ballroom only with the partner. Therefore, Pete- Jules's boyfriend and George- April's Date came collecting them. After waiting for Davien, I persuaded them to go with their partners first. After ten minutes, they came running into room, panting heavily.

"What are you doing here? Is everything alright?" I said the shock.

"Eve, if Davien didn't show up in before eight o'clock. We have arranged for the backup plan. We talked to one of the very good-looking managers to escort you. He will be here sharply at five past eight. Bye Eve." April said in between her breath. They gave me a tight hug.

"Good luck Eve." Jules screamed all the way to the corridor. I smiled at their creative thought and got back to my room to wait for Davien. Seconds by seconds, the hours started to vanish as with my trust and hope in Davien. When it was five minutes to eight, I lost all the patients and the every tint of hope turned into anger. I opened the door hardly and dashed out of it. In the very moment, I have collided with someone followed by the sound of broken ceramic.

"I'm... I'm so... sorry, ma'am." The room servicewomen said in terrific fear. The deep shade of coffee brown spattered on my clear sky blue dress.

"God! Your dress!" She gasped and I didn't say anything but staring aimlessly at my coffee stained dress.

"What the.... what you doing holding the coffee at my doorstep?" I asked angrily at her.

"We received the order to serve coffee for this room number." She said with her fingers trembling . I opened my mouth to scold her, shout at her. However, I couldn't say anything since it was partially my fault not to notice her.

"We didn't place any orde...."

"Thank god you received a spare dress this morning." She said looking at the corner, where the sheet fell on the floor revealing the scarlet beauty.

"I'll help you to get ready for party ma'am. It's going to start anytime soon." She said pushing me to room locking the door behind me and removed the dress from the stand. I didn't do anything since my brain was buzzed and froze. On the next few minutes, she re-did my hair and makeup too; I didn't protest-no, I couldn't protest.

"May be it's my fate to wear this dress," I said and braced myself for the rest of the night.

"One more step!" She said placing the glittering golden heels on my feet and let me to the full-size mirror on the other side.

"Wow... Beautiful!!!" she gasped. I took an extensive moment to look my reflection. She was right; I looked absolutely stunning in this floor-length, off-sleeve scarlet ball gown. The unique red colour goes well with my pale white complexion. The waist-length brown hair that flowing in curls, generously covered my back. The golden heels and golden accessories gleamed brightly on the evening lights. Even though it's just a dream, the unsettling feel started to crepe through my spice.

"I did good spilling coff..." she bit her lips in the middle of the sentence.

"It's ok. I won't blame you for spilling coffee on me." I said giving her a faint smile and the doorbell rang. I saw the clock that says Five past eight.

"Your escort is here, ma'am. Have a wonderful night." She beamed cheerfully at me. I flashed one last look at my reflection and gave a deep sigh. I hurried towards the door and stopped on the doorstep seeing my escort. There stood a man in crispy white shirt and the creamy waistcoat, smiling brightly at me and I froze there unable to believe my own eyes.

*****************************

Hey, my sweet readers of FFTP. Vote and comment if you like this chapter.

-Winter knight3