(One Shot) Chim - You & I

Kimberley drove slowly through the pitch black streets of Newcastle, looking slowly left and right. 

Remembering. 

Being back here made her feel like she was eighteen years old all over again; as she continued driving, she felt more and more vulnerable, scared, apprehensive. 

It had been six years since she had last set foot in Newcastle.

Six years since she had ran away.

Six years without her.

Cheryl Tweedy.

The love of her life.

‘Excuse me… d’you know if I’m going the right way to the university?’ 

The small brunette girl turned to face Kimberley and smiled politely. ‘Aye, you’re almost there pet.’ 

Kimberley couldn’t help but watch her every move as the girl flicked her hair back and pointed. ‘Just turn left there, then carry on right up the road, right to the top til you get to the lights, then do a right, and it’s there. You’re not from around here are you?’ 

‘What gave me away?’ Kimberley smiled. 

‘Don’t think I’ve ever spoke to anyone who’s not a Geordie.’ The girl laughed. ‘You sound like a lass off Corrie or something.’ 

‘Oh God, Am I that obvious?!’ Kimberley laughed. She was talking to a complete stranger, and didn’t feel at all awkward. 

‘Only cos I watch Corrie.’ The girl replied. ‘I take it you’re just here studying then?’ 

‘Not officially… I’ve already moved here but todays sort of my formal interview.’ They just looked at each other for a moment. 

‘Anyway… I better go, I don’t want to be late…’ 

‘Aye, I’ll walk with you then. Wouldn’t want you getting lost and making a bad impression would we?’ the girl winked. 

‘…A-are you sure, aren’t you busy?’ 

‘Do I look it? C’mon I insist.’ she smiled, already walking up the road. Kimberley followed her. 

‘So what’re you studying?’ 

‘Psychology.’ 

‘Bloody hell, really? You’re a smart one then!’ 

‘If you say so, err…’ 

‘Sorry pet, it’s Cheryl.’ 

‘Kimberley. Nice to meet you Cheryl.’ 

‘You too, that’s a lovely name, Kimberley.’ 

‘Aah. Thanks for saving me.’ 

‘You’re not there yet! What if I’m kidnapping you?’ she laughed. ‘Just kidding.’ 

Kimberley smiled back and went to turn right. Cheryl grabbed her hand. ‘Wrong way pet.’ She giggled. ‘Good job I came along after all.’ 

She steered Kimberley the right way then let go of her hand, leaving it tingling, and butterflies erupting in Kimberley’s stomach.

**

Kimberley found herself parked at the end of the street where Cheryl used to live, watching the house. She had no idea if Cheryl still lived there, if her mum did, or if they had all moved on. She didn’t even remember getting there, but she killed the engine, deciding to just wait. The house was in darkness apart from the one light at the front of the house. She contemplated going to knock on, but she didn’t actually know what she would do if Cheryl’s mum answered, or Cheryl herself. She had returned solely for the purpose of seeing Cheryl, but she still had no idea what she would say.