Chapter Seventeen - Home

Natsu, Lucy, and Happy fell to their knees and rejoiced--they were back to Earth. They were safe. Gray just smiled and thought to himself we did it. We can save her... Then he realized that the mission wasn't over yet.

"Don't celebrate yet, guys. We still need to save Erza," he reminded them.

With that, they all ran as fast as they could to the town healer, hoping and praying that they were not too late. They arrived, but the town healer was not happy.

"Come," she said. "There isn't much time. You've already been gone over a week. I had to give her the extra potion. Your's haven't worn off yet since you weren't here. You have time, your friend does not."

She led them to Erza, and Gray almost broke down on the spot. Her face was ashen, her body cold and stiff, almost as if she were already dead. The only sign of life was her slowly fading heartbeat, which only caused Gray to panic more.

"Lucy, the vial. Now," he said.

She handed it to him. Just as Erza's heart was about to beat a final time, Gray opened the vial and watched as Erza's life force returned to her. It flowed back in a steady stream, and when it finally stopped, the wizards realized that they had been holding their breaths in anticipation. They waited, but nothing happened. Then in hit them...they were too late.

"No," whispered Gray. "No, no, no, NO! It's not possible, she can't be gone, she CAN'T! Wake up, Erza. Damn it, WAKE UP!"

I need you...wake up so we can both go on living...together. Because God knows I can't do it without you.

The four closed their eyes and bowed their head in silence, mourning their best friend and their greatest hero. All that, everything they went through in the demon world. All the pain, all the fear, and especially Brightflash's sacrifice. All just to come back too late. Just as they had given up for good, Erza opened her eyes. The color returned to her cheeks, and warmth once again flowed through her body.

"Gray, are you crying?" she asked in her deep, resonating, piercing voice.

"Erza! You're OK!" he said, not even bothering to hide his tears.

"Of course I am! Since when has a demon ever bested me."

The five best friends celebrated together, and Erza was filled in about what had taken place in the demon world. Gray sat back as Natsu, Lucy, and Happy explained their adventures, and he smiled. He looked at Erza, and he looked into her eyes, and he saw her, safe and sound, and as happy as she had ever been, her whole face lighting up with every smile. That was when Gray knew. He was home.

-So sorry, I try not to do these little author note things, but I just wanted to say that after reading this chapter, please to listen to 'Home is in your eyes' by Greyson Chance. It was the inspiration for this chapter. Thank you!-