the second one

Beat wasn't too keen on leaving, but he had to. If he didn't, no progress would be made. Progress on what? Beat never told anybody. Nobody knew why he was sneaking out at night for hours on end. They knew he was doing it, yes, but not why.

But, it was time for him to leave for... God knows how long. It could be a day. It could be three weeks. He hasn't told anybody yet, though. He didn't feel he needed to.

Until he heard Yoyo shuffling around on the couch next to him.

Shit, not now.. What excuse could he use? Late night skate? Just standing up to stretch?

No, nothing would work. Yoyo can read him like a book. He's the only person capable of doing so..

"Yo, Beat..?"

He could run now? Yoyo still doesn't entirely know it's him. He doesn't entirely know he's-

"What are you doin' up?"

Fuck.

"Uh.. I'm, uh.."

No getting out of this one, bug eyes.

"You're leaving again, aren't you?" There was a hint of sadness in Yoyo's voice. He knew what was going on here. He did this every night.

"Yeah, I am. Sorry for wakin' you up, kid."

"No, it's fine. But, I'm coming with you, yo."

Beat didn't expect that.

"No."

Beat didn't expect to say no so bluntly.

"Yo, c'mon," the shorty replied quickly. It was almost a little whine.

This time Beat finally had some to think.

"You... You can't. Not now. You could before, but not now."

Yoyo's eyes reflected his conflicted thoughts. Not now? He could before? What does that mean?

"What... Does that mean?"

"It means I'm leaving for.. For a while."

Now Yoyo knew exactly what he meant. He'd be gone for too long, and two members leaving a gang behind for an extended period of time would hurt the team more than help it.

"How long will you be gone?" He finally spoke up after letting his mind race for a moment.

"A while."

"How long is a while?"

"..... A while."

"Beat--"

"I'm sorry."

Silence.

A quick breath, and an open mouth.

.......

Silence..

Neither of them knew what to say, or if it was a good time to say anything at all.

Maybe silence would be the best thing for now.

"Beat, I need to--"

"Shush."

"But I really--"

"No."

"Yo, please just--"

"Shut the hell up."

That worked. It was.. Harsh, but it worked.

Yoyo was sitting down again, now. His legs were pulled up against his chest, and his arms wrapped around them. There wasn't much to be said, now, he supposed.

After staring at the red-haired boy's back for what seemed like an eternity, he decided to just get up and say it, no matter how many times he would be interrupted.

Pushing himself to his feet, Yoyo cleared his throat before saying one thing.

"Beat."

There was no response, other than a small flinch. Seems he spooked him.

"Beat, let me just--"

There were arms around him now. After taking a moment to figure out what was going on, he realized they were Beat's arms. Beat was hugging him. He rarely ever did that.

Of course, he did the same, bringing his arms up and around the other's waist. He lost his train of thought when he was squeezed again. The boy he loved... Was hugging him. It was a real hug, from the real Beat.

He thought he heard Beat say something about the hug, but it didn't matter. He just nuzzled his face into his chest. And, he involuntary mumbled something.

"Yeah, yeah, love ya' too, kid."

Yoyo just confessed, didn't he?

Shit.