Chapter 1

The snowstorm that was currently consuming the mountains was one of the worst River had seen. Her memory was muddied by the sound of the roaring wind and small pebbles tumbling down the mountain face where she and a couple of others were hiding. The first snowstorm she had encountered, was when she was with her previous pack. Their former territory across the gentle snowed-covered mountains was almost as cozy as one could get in these conditions. She missed the warmth and fervor of her home, of her pack members, of her aging aunt...she remembered shivering and whimpering in the fur of her father, and how her parents mentioned as a joke, that if young pups were to go out into a snowstorm, a giant monster would come gobble them up, which left River even more afraid.

However, that was all destined to be forgotten, as River believed. The day that the Claw Guardians came, was one of the most abhorrent days of her lifetime. River's years as an Alpha was not spared either during the conquering...she was brutally dragged down from her post and went to the most undesirable position in the pack. Furthermore, the way she was treated was obnoxious. This left her to escape with a few others who decided to join her.

Now, after days of travelling, they have finally made it out of the territory, and have, unfortunately, stumbled into a snowstorm upon a mountain.

"H-Hey River...when is this one g-going to end? It's q-quite rough..." a voice, quite light-hearted and squeaky, tried to push her words through the blasting, whirling wind and snow that came upon each and every one of them.

"Yes, Solister, this one's the worst ever...but I believe it'll end soon...just p-push on!" River increased her volume at the end, just because she got annoyed with the way the wind tried to push her words back into her throat. River's smooth coat felt like it was being stretched and peeled apart, and her big, round ears were pushed forcefully to the back of her forehead. Her paws were taking really shaky steps forward, and every time she landed a footing, her body struggled to keep River from going back with the wind. Her two medium-length tails were like a piece of cloth in harsh gust, and even though it felt like she was the only one enduring this, she knew in her heart and mind that her friends were struggling to keep up as well.

"Hey! I think it's clearing up!" another voice shouted, a deep but soft male voice, with a slight crack in it.

The others looked up at the sky, as if to search for the gods above. Indeed, the heavy snow that was hitting their bodies like daggers was subsiding. The wind and the snow and the struggle all seemed to die down, almost as fast as it started.

About two weeks ago...

"Hey, hey! Can I get the council meeting please? Oh! And make sure that the Patrol group has reached back safely would you? Thank you......Rocky! How's the food stock coming along?"

The main cave was bustling with activity. The high jagged walls partially echoed the voices that everyone was producing. River was Alpha back then, her loving pride and leadership boosted her pack's strength and spirits. However, she was kept busy ever since her father entrusted the title of Alpha to her. He was a fantastic leader, and everyone would agree. The late father of River, August, founded the pack when he met a group of loners like him then. They were skittish, afraid and desperately hungry. If August had not reasoned with them and showed them a firm face, they would have become hyenas and savage his meat. He was raised the mountains and was a sturdy and well-trained pup. His parents were loving, but one day they met their fate, and before he could tell his story, his own fate was met. August had not only founded the pack, but had raised his members with pride and justice, implementing his amazing skills into their blood, mind and soul. He led the pack to victory almost over every enemy, and spread their territory further than the mountains themselves. His death came as a shock, terrorizing the hearts of his oldest members, especially his mate, and his young daughter.

River longed to know what happened, but never got the chance to. The elders in the pack didn't know about it either, thus it seemed to be a pretty darn important secret.

After August had passed, everyone held a poll and decided to name the mountains they lived upon after him.

River was 8 months old.