✆ 30

WHEN I WALK into the living room that late afternoon, I find my dad and another man seated next to each other, talking and laughing loudly, papers gathered around them on the table

They both shut up and look up at me, my dad with a boring expression, as for the strange man a curious one.

"Hello," I awkwardly greet the man with eyeglasses.

"You must be Evalyn. My name is Adam. Your dad's friend and colleague." He introduces himself with a too welcoming smile and I don't feel so comfortable in his presence.

Dad usually brings lot of business men with him over, but never just one only.

He stands up and extends his hand for me to shake it. I reluctantly accept the gesture. I smile nervously and take a step backwards.

"Evalyn, Adam is very famous in the industry. You must've heard of him, I presume?" My dad intervenes and largely smiles at me, hoping I'd get the hint and approve, even if I have no clue who this guy is.

I notice the powerful look on the man's face when dad emphasized very famous. "Of course I've heard of you. It's a pleasure." I forcefully smile.

I unconsciously squeeze my old phone that is laying peacefully inside the palm of my hand, and as if on cue, Adam's eyes land on it. He eyes it suspiciously, his right eye twitching.

"This... thing can't be your phone, right?" He asks softly—too softly, and I shudder but manage to hide it somehow.

I glance at my dad for help.

My dad glances back at me and then back at my hand, "Where's your phone, Evalyn?"

Great. Count on my dad to make things worse.

"M—my phone?" I ask nervously.

The Nokia's ringtone makes me jump.

My body relaxes instantly as it vibrates and I thank the Lord for whoever that is, right now.

"If you'll excuse me, I have to take this call." I mentally flip them off and walk outside immediately, suddenly yearning for fresh air.

As I'm at the front porch, I instantly let out a deep breath I was holding in as I check out the small, display screen, wondering who'd be calling me.

Oh, my Lord.

I freeze on the spot, my heart jumping to my throat.