#3 - Stop the Things You Do

The following morning Priscilla woke up extra early. She wanted to look her best, particularly for certain art history teacher. She did her hair extra tall with thick black eyeliner that lined her eyes. She adorned a tight tweed dress, complete with black leather gloves, matching clutch, Cuban heel stockings and black patent high heels. She was dressed to kill.

"Young lady where do you think you're going like that?!" said Ann as she took a ghastly look at her daughter, all dressed up for a modest day at school.

"Oh this?" laughed Priscilla, here we go again, another lie, she thought, "Pam and I are going to a dance after school, Pam's mom said she would picks up from from school and drop us off! Isn't that nice of her?" she said trying to sound convincing.

"Well gee Priscilla, I think it's wonderful that you're spending so much time with Pam, but don't you think your father and I should meet her?" said Ann as she crossed her arms across her chest.

"Sure mom, just not today okay? I promise soon." Smiled Priscilla.

"Well, at least let your father an I take a picture of you. You do look so pretty." Her mother said warmly.

Priscilla proceeded to picked up their poodle, Honey, for a picture in their front yard. Hastily, after a quick kiss on her mother's cheek, Priscilla was off to school. "I promise I wont be home late." She said with a smile as she disappeared further and further down the sidewalk.

-

All of her morning classes seemed a blur. Walking the halls, Priscilla received various looks from the other students. I guess they've never seen someone with good taste in fashion before, she thought smugly. 

She decided it was best to stop quickly into the bathroom to check on her hair before art history class. Glancing in the mirror, she was pleased with what she saw. After applying a quick coat of lipstick, she then headed out the bathroom and straight towards Mr. Lennon's class. Holding her breath, she entered his class room.

Upon entry into his classroom, confusion set in. She became face to face with a short, pudgy elderly lady. She glanced back to the door of the class room to check the numbers. 109, I'm in the right room, she thought. "Excuse me, where is Mr. Lennon?" she asked, bewilderment written all over her face.

"I'm afraid he isn't in today. Bad cold. I'll be your substitute teacher for the day." She smiled.

Great, I got all dressed up for nothing. Priscilla thought as she made her way to her usual desk. Opening her book, she glanced out the window. Bad cold? He was fine yesterday? Maybe I should go check up on him. He said I could always stop by for tea. Besides, I wouldn't be imposing, would I? she rationalized with herself. Would I?

Priscilla never skipped school, ever, but desperate times called for desperate measures. As the bell rang to sound the end of art history and the beginning of lunch, she decided it was best she visit Mr. Lennon instead of finishing off the rest of her classes for the day. It was only three more classes anyway, besides, what if he is really sick. He needs someone to take of him, doesn't he? Thought Priscilla as she exited the school and headed out onto the long and winding road that would lead her to Mr. Lennon's door.

Gazing up at the building which she thought was John's, she tried to remember her surroundings the day she came to visit his flat. It had been raining pretty hard that day and she didn't quite get a chance to familiarize herself with the area. Deciding to go with her gut, she knocked bravely on the door which she believed to belong to John.

After a few minutes, having got no response, she started to doubt she had the right door. Deflated, she began to turn to walk away. Where she would go? She was supposed to be at school, followed by an imaginary dance to attend with an an imaginary best friend Pam. Feeling stupid, Priscilla sat on the curb. Head in hands, looking toward her shoes.