Chapter Two

{A/N: I would very much like to get this published, so please give me feedback. There are still uncertain aspects that may just come along as I write, so bear with me! I may take a while to upload, as I'll try to make the chapters longer than those of my other books, and good. The way it's written is a bit difficult to write, but I find it necessary and I like it. 

Please, if you have any questions, just let me know and I'll be glad to answer them! Vote/Comment/Add to Reading List. Whatever. Thanks!}

The Huntress

Chapter Two

The huntress moved swiftly to the village. How could she be so daft to fall for the wolf's trick? of course he would circle back to get the girl as soon as she hesitated. She silently cursed herself. She unslung her bow from her shoulders, and nocked an arrow to it.  

The little girl traced her finger over the single swirl and the edge of the little stone around her neck. 

The wolf slowed as he reached the edge of the little village. He was nearly there. He knew it. He could feel it.

The huntress sprinted toward the village, not slowing as she reached the outreaches. The pull in her told her she was on the correct path. Her feet pounded on the hard-packed dirt side roads. Her long, wavy brown hair streamed behind her. She had to get to the girl before that wretched wolf. She had to protect the girl. 

The girl sang to herself softly, her voice barely audible, even to herself.

The wolf's ears perked up as he heard a quiet noise, that of a small child. He veered his course, matching the scent with that he was following. 

The girl looked up to see snarling teeth and a black figure. A scream tore from her body, echoing through the buildings of the village. 

The villagers heard the scream. They had no idea who it was, where it came from. They hurriedly spread out and searched for the source. 

The huntress heard the scream. She moved faster, if possible. Her brown eyes searched the buildings. Another scream echoed, and she followed the sound. 

The wolf crouched in front of the girl, gauging the best way to get her to come quietly without alerting the nearby huntress. He eyed the necklace around her neck. The hair. The skin. The eyes. The pendant. The...scent. It was mouth-watering. He slunk forward.

The girl allowed another scream to erupt  from her body, hoping someone would hear her before this wolf killed her. 

The huntress pushed herself faster, finally bursting onto the scene with the wolf. The arrow leapt away from the bow before the village girl had realized there was someone there.

The arrow pierced the beast's front leg. It should have struck it through the heart, had the animal not moved.

The huntress cursed quietly to herself, and before she'd finished the curse, another arrow was on its way. 

The wolf leapt out of the way, the arrow skidding on the dirt ground. 

The girl shrunk back against the building, subconciously slinking behind the huntress, where she knew she'd be safe. 

The huntress drew her dagger and darted forward, half throwing herself at the beast, but never losing her balance or speed. It needed to die. It had threatened the village long enough. 

The wolf skipped away from the dangerously sharp object. The silver gleamed in the sunlight, flashing into his eyes for a moment. Before he knew it, the dagger was on it's way toward him once again. In the moment he had hesitated, blinded, the huntress had darted forward again. She was always ready to strike, as dangerous as a wolf, as fast as a snake.

The huntress's eyes narrowed on her prey. She was so close. Yet she had to stay protecting the girl. But the wolf had to die. No.... protecting the girl came first. She watched the wolf prepare to strike at her, the animal unconciously coiling it's muscles. It didn't realize she knew it would attack.

The wolf crouched, ready to spring. Leave the girl and the petty huntress. Return to me, my beast. The deep voice echoed through his head, and he sat up, pawing at his ears. The voice hurt. He hated when his master gave him commands in this way. It hurt. He leapt to his paws again as the huntress flashed her dagger toward him. This time, it didn't miss. It sliced across his muzzle, just barely, but enough to draw blood, and hurt him. He yowled and sprinted away from the village, back into the forest. Away from the danger of the huntress.

The huntress breathed a sigh of relief, but stayed on alert, tensed, ready to attack again if the wolf reappeared. A whimpering reminded her of the reason she was here.

The girl clutched her pendant as though it would save her. She whimpered, scared that the huntress would turn on her. She put her hands over her mouth, her eyes wide as she stared at the woman with the dagger and arrows. The dangerous bow lay on the ground. 

The huntress turned her brown eyes on the girl. Her face softened. Her perfect pink lips turned up in a small smile.

"Hello," she said in a gentle way.  

The village girl relaxed as she saw the huntress's hard face soften.

"Please," she said, "Please let me go back to my village." 

The huntress frowned.

"Not your family?" she questioned.

The girl's eyes widened as she shrunk back.

 "Oh, no! Please! No!" she whimpered. 

The huntress knelt down next to the girl. 

"Why?" she placed one hand on the girl's hair, then raised her up from the ground. 

"I-I..." the village girl turned her face away. Tears pricked at her eyes. 

The huntress put an arm around her.

"I will take you away, if you like. I can," she suggested softly.  

 The girl nodded enthusiastically. She wanted to never return to the village; never to return to those cruel people. 

"Please," she pleaded.

The huntress sighed to herself. Why had she said such a thing? She had no idea how to raise the girl, no idea if Artemis would even let her take her. She turned away a moment and shut her eyes. She had to. She had said she could, and... somehow, she couldn't bear to leave the girl behind.

The village girl watched the mysterious woman with an awe-like gaze. Her green eyes darted over the short white dress that fell just above the knees, the golden sandals, the long, slightly curly brown hair.

The huntress turned back. She'd made her decision. She would take the girl to meet Artemis.

"Come. We are going to meet Artemis."