hi, im kai.

- kai
You know that feeling when life's going too good you start to wonder when something bad is going to happen next, that was today.
Life was actually going good since my dad died and for once the crime in Chicago wasn't too bad. I heard more laughter and less crying. I saw less negative and more positive. I had always wonder when it was going to stop and when everything was going to turn back around to being bad.
Reality was nothing had changed, it was me. Before I had chosen to see the bad and I blocked out all hope of things going good. I guess when I finally started having a little fun is when I started seeing the good in things.
I was so keen on pointing out the bad and complaining on how my life was so bad, just because one thing.
My Ma had gotten a boyfriend only a couple months after my Pops died and it angered me how quick she moved on. I don't believe seeing her cry for my dad and I put that on everything I got. Ain't trying make her look bad, but it's no lie. My Ma and her little boo thing talk day and night. Also every time he's in town she's never home. It's always him over me.
Point of this all is that every since he popped up my life went downhill. He just comes waltzing in with his rich ass, acting like he God. He can take his half Greek, half whatever self elsewhere. Because of him I actually hate my life worst than I did when my Pops died.

[hours earlier]

I walked into the apartment when I heard the laughing from the kitchen. I knew Ma and Alejandro, her boo, were in there. Why did the Lord construct the house the way he did, because I had to walk through the kitchen to get to my room.

"KK is that you baby?"

I closed the front door silently stomping my feet, I didn't want them to know I was here.

"Yeah Ma. I just came in."

I put on my big girl panties on and walked into the kitchen to see Ma and Alejandro by the stove, cooking something over the pot. I couldn't help, but spot the items on the table as I walked in.

 I couldn't help, but spot the items on the table as I walked in

Okay y'all see what's going on right? Let's recap. One, when I walked my Ma called me "KK". A name she only uses when she wants something. Two, there are three items I've been asking and saving for the longest for on the kitchen table in my favorite color. Three, Ma don't ever let Alejandro near her stove. Somethings up.

"What y'all do?"

I looked directly at Ma, purposely blocking out Alejandro.

"Hello to you to KK."

Ma giggled looking up at Alejandro joking with him as of something were funny. Once the both saw I wasn't laughing they stopped.

"KK, look Ale and I have something to tell you."

Woah! Why my mom speaking all proper? Where her Mobile, Alabama accent at?

"Don't tell me you pregnant."

I said looking at Alejandro with a stank face. He only blushed and Ma gasped. Yeah I know my mom can't get pregnant anymore due to her medical problems, but the doctors said she still had a small chance and I believe in miracles.

"You are!"

My eyes widen as I looked between her and Alejandro.

"No, KK -"
"You adopted?"
"Kai just listen!"

Ma rolled her eyes and let out a huff. Where did that come from? I know Ma don't like getting cut off, but she never done a thing like that before.

"Alejandro and I have decided to marry. So that means we are going to live with him."

Say what? Lord Jesus you better come get your child because she telling lies.
Both Alejandro and Ma looked at me with smiles as if they gave me the best news. Like no, how could Ma just up and leave Chicago like that. My grandpapy was here, my friends were here and most of all my Pops was buried here. Now she wanna up and leave because her and Mr. Half-Breed here getting married.

"So am I going to go live with grand daddy?"

Ma stopped smiling and she started to give me a glare. Why she getting mad?

"No Kai you're coming with us."
"Why? He ain't my daddy and sure ain't going to be."
"Kai, I'd love to be your step-farther."
"Ain't nobody asked you half breed."

Ma slammed her hand against the counter top and came up in my face, pushing me back.

"Go to your room and start packing. This little attitude better disappear while you at it too."

I wanted so badly to roll my eyes, suck my teeth, and walk away but not today Satan. Who was the woman in front of me? Sure as hell wasn't Ma, because Ma ain't never been like this.

"I ain't going, I can go live with-"

My explanation was cut short when Ma sailed her hand across my face. The impact was so hard you could hear it in Hong Kong.
The whole room was silent. I just stood there cupping my left cheek. Alejandro didn't say anything and Ma, well Ma couldn't believe it. Ma never put her hands on me as a kid it was always Pops giving me my beat downs. But nah Ma was a new woman now with her new mans over here, I see.

"Oh so that's how we doing it now, ight Ma."
"KK I-"

I gave Ma a sickening sweet smile and just shrugged my shoulders.

"Nah Ma, it's all good. I see you now."

I turned my back to her and went to my room to pack like I was told.
Since Ma wanted to switch up, I got the right to do so too, right?

»above is Kai«