III. [ RANT ] STARFIRE.

THREE. STARFIRE: A RANT.

[THIS IS TYPED LIKE AN ESSAY OR ARTICLE UNTIL THE VERY END, SORRY.]

Okay, so, much to my own and many fans' dismay, our beloved Koriand'r (Starfire) has become an object that is far from the original alien's personality.

As much as I love DC, they have so many issues to work out, including their way of sexism and attracting readers through sexual depictions of women on the covers, and throughout the comic. Not that that's anything new.

Kori is one of the victims of that, being blatantly sexualized even from the beginning.

What pisses me off is that the writers (& artists) aren't doing anything to manage the way the comics have portrayed her, and quite frankly, the films do it, too.

Let's start with Red Hood and the Outlaws;

Kori is a complete and utter SEX TOY, used as a benefit for Jason Todd and Roy Harper to play with. She's there for them to control and use, and that sickens me beyond anything. Kori is an alien princess, NOT a sex doll. And the thing is, she instigates it.

Example;

She is emotionless, asking for pointless sex

Also;

Again, being used by male "superiors"

As more and more comics come to the surface to show our "innocent" alien, we see more of a hard, angry, emotionless hero come to earth for sex and male attention.

That isn't how I saw Kori. Ever.

DC, God bless them, responded with one of the lamest answers ever; "We've heard what's being said about Starfire today and we appreciate the dialogue on this topic. We encourage people to pay attention to the ratings when picking out any books to read themselves or for their children."