Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Zach pov

I regret my decision. I should have never left Cammie, especially now when she needs me the most. The rational part of my brain decides to join in and point out that what she needs is medical attention not someone crying over her. I have to be strong for her.

If she was here she would probably smack me for thinking she couldn't handle herself. Then I would laugh, and hug her whispering in her ear that I know but it doesn't stop me from worrying.

Cammie is a survivor. History has proven it time and time again. She showed this when she came back from The Circle. I still remember how she looked then, I still remember all of her bruises that would poke out of her uniform. She wears her battlescars proudly, I just wish she didn't have so many.

This time won't be any different, she would get through it. She has to.

As of right now, I have a job to do. A simple task that has been attempted on multiple occasions and resulted in failure. I need to get Luke, then it is all over. The Eye will fall. If not otday, then soon. I could care less about them at this point. Luke was the reason this mission started, once I get him then everything will be over. Once this entire mess is over then I could finally breath easy again.

I need a long vacation after this. I just have to get through it first. It's much easier said than done.

In the past we have failed to save Luke. Now I can finally understand why. We knew there was a traitor among us, therefore making all of our plans obsolete. He would just tell them our plans and give them enough time to escape. That was how they were always one step ahead of us. I just never thought it would be Preston who would betray us. I still have some trouble wrapping my mind around it.

How could he betray us? Well, they were threatening to hurt his mother. The same goes for Jonas, they were both trying to protect the people they care about. I probably would have acted similarly if anyone threatened my Cammie. I don't think that is a realistic scenario because I know she can handle herself.

Jonas and Preston were trying to protect loved ones. I, on the other hand, am seeking revenge for my loved one. I hope I still have a loved one after all of this is over,

The director will pay for what he has done to Cammie, I'll make sure of it.

Everything ends tonight. I am sick and tired of this mission. I don't care about how many peple I have to kill to end this. I don't want to be apart of their stupid little games anymore. I don't want to be anyone's pawn in a grander scheme that I could care less about. I want this to end, I need this to end.

I want to get back the little bit of normalcy I had left in my life before all of this started, but that is besides the point.

My priority was getting Luke out of their hands so I can go be at Cammie's side where I was regretting not being there. Deep down I know I couldn't stay with her, I would drive myself crazy. So instead, I am channeling all of my anger, frustration and worries into violence. I am ready to punch some mindless minions in the face.

The plan we came up with was simple for one reason, it was barely a plan. Since the start of this mission, all of the plans we came up with ended disastrously. So many of our plans went wrong, and none of them worked out in the slightest. Now I know it's because of Preston. He was their inside man and since he knew every plan, there was no way we could succeed.

So this one was simple, walk in and while all hell breaks loose, attack as many people we can, get Luke then leave.

How could I have missed it?! There was so many clues to him being the traitor, like when he tried to get close to Cammie. I'm glad I punched him for that. He should be lucky if I don't punch him soon. It's obvious that Preston is with them since he wasn't there when we found Cammie. He didn't have a choice, he had to choose where he stood. And he choose them. Maybe I won't feel so guilty now when I smash his face against a wall like I would do to the others.