Chapter 10

Mackenzie. Mackenzie who was said to be the least affected girl with only a sprained ankle and a broken wrist, strapped to tubes. Tubes went down her throat and IV's were stuck onto her arms.

"What happened to Kenzie?" Maddie asked. Concern filling her eyes. Her voice cracking at the end.

"I don't know. The news said that Mackenzie was the least affected girl, maybe something went wrong." Melissa tried to reassure her daughter, even though she wasn't sure herself,  if it would actually be okay.

"I'm sorry to break it to you Mrs. Ziegler, but when we did an X Ray on Mackenzie, we saw something that shouldn't be there." A new doctor, a sterner one spoke.

"When do you think she'll wake up?" Jill asked.

"Actually we discovered that Ms Ziegler's kidney has malfunctioned and because she is too young to live on one kidney she will have to have a kidney transplant." The doctor continued, not really answering Jill's question.

"Well let's have a kidney transplant." Maddie squeaked.

"Oh honey," The doctor sighed, "it's not that easy. We checked and no one would match her kidney."

"What's gonna happen then?"

"Only family members can donate, and Maddie's kidney is the perfect fit because they are both still young and would match wonderfully." The doctor replied tapping his clipboard.

"Maybe we can donate one of my kidneys?" Melissa said.

"We could but then you don't exactly have a pure kidney as you sometimes drink unlike Maddie whose kidney is 100% clean."

"Well it's up to Maddie." Melissa said as she gave her daughter a sympathetic look.

"Can we do it after we see all the girls? So they can be with me if I have to go through the surgery?" Maddie squeaked.

"Okay honey. Let's go see Nia?" The nurse said.