Chapter one

"Charlie" I am subconsciously aware of someone yelling my name in the distance. I open my eyes, nothing. I feel myself drift away. In what could have been minutes or hours later I hear it again, "Charlie", this time accompanied by a low buzzing sound. I blackout again, finally a third time "Charlie" only this time more of a whisper, the buzzing is gradually getting louder. I realize I'm lying facedown in the dirt, I slowly and awkwardly shift my body so that I'm looking at the sky, it's either dawn or dusk judging by the way the shadows fall across the boys face above mine, he slowly fades into view. "Charlie what the hell?" His eyes pierce into mine and I am acutely aware of the stench of smoke coming off his breath.

"You told me you quit smoking" My voice came out shakier than I was expecting. He disregards my taunting, mumbling something about the insignificance of a promise when one's friend has been missing for several days. At this point my head is pounding and I barely have enough energy to sit up let alone come back with a witty remark. I look around and eye a glass bottle lying on its side about a quarter of the way still full. It's about ten yards away and soon Daniel spots it too. Before I can even make a move for it he stands and goes to smash it with his boot, he turns and starts walking towards his truck.

"That wasn't necessary". No reaction. I unsteadily walk to the truck almost tripping when I step up into the passenger seat.

Without looking he grabs his pack out of the glove compartment and lights one. I open the window and dramatically break into a coughing fit, I look over and he cracks a smile, "bigot". We sit in silence for a few more minutes then pull into the 24 hour diner off of route 12. The fluorescent yellow lights on the sign blink what originally said The Sunshine Diner but which notably was missing several letters. Inside we find our way to one of the many unoccupied booths. Daniel orders a cheeseburger and I wave away the tired eyed waitress, the thought of food making my stomach churn. I turn on my phone the screen blinks Monday August 5th 6:47 am, I look up at Daniel an expectant look on his face and realize he had said something.

"Sorry, what?" 

He shakes his head, "I can't believe you were off on another drinking binge." 

"Aw don't worry about me it was only 2 days", I laugh. The waitress returns with Daniel's food and two glasses of water.

He waits until she's out of hearing range, "I'm serious, what about your mom, did you leave her all alone?"

"She can take care of herself" I say rolling my eyes. That's a lie. Mom hadn't left her room in days last time I checked, I felt bad leaving knowing I would probably be gone all weekend but justified it by the fact that I shouldn't have to take care of her and that she was the parent. Plus Mrs.Hensley our neighbor periodically checked in on her twice the day, she doesn't think either of us are capable of taking care of ourselves or the other and is afraid one day she'll walk in and find us dead. Mom's work had given her a few months off due to "traumatic circumstances" but technically she was wasting the vacation days she had been saving up to retire a year early.

As if he had read my mind, "Any idea when she's going back to work? I shrug and he turns his attention back to the burger. Daniel doesn't exactly approve of my "extra curricular activities" but he knows not to pester me about it, except I wish he would. Everyone treats me like glass afraid if they upset me I'll shatter. Daniel's never been the type to beat around the bush, he's very direct which is a trait I admire. But even he, scratch that, he especially acts like I'm going to implode at any moment. As we sit I study his face, he has a strong jaw, and deep blue eyes, he's handsome but it's subtle, his dark hair sweeps across his forehead, I keep telling him he looks like a bum and the thrift store leather jacket doesn't help much. A lot of people used to say we look alike and would probably think we were related had 90% of the town not known me since birth, so they know I only have a sister or had a sister... Anyways, this is one of the reasons I bleached my hair, the other two being, I was wasted and "blondes do have more fun" (cliche I know). But here we are 2 months later and I never bothered to touch up my roots making me look like the one who's homeless. I grab Daniel's baseball hat and put it on suddenly feeling self-conscious, regardless of the fact that we are the only two people in the entire restaurant. He finishes his food sets $5 on the table, gets up and walks away. I bang my head on the table and a few minutes later get up and follow. He's standing outside halfway through another cig. I sigh and hold my hand out.

He smiles, "Wow now not only are you a bigot but a hypocrite as well." and hands me one. I inhale and hold it, lungs burning, and let it out with a slight cough. The buzz hits but leaves as soon as it had come. I toss it on the ground and stomp it out.

"I'll be in the car" he nods. I watch him light another while fighting to stay awake, sleep wins and I drift away.

I wake up the sun in my eyes. We're parked in some field and Daniel's sitting on the hood, I roll down my window and can faintly hear the chorus of some song by The Front Bottoms coming out of his phone, he's humming along.

And I will remember that Summer

As the Summer I was taking steroids

Because you like a man with muscles

And I like you.

"I still wouldn't like you even if you did have muscles"

"Shut up", He doesn't turn around but I can hear the smile in his voice.

I join him on the roof, "So where are we this time?"

"Somewhere in Montana about 15 miles off of highway 8". I nod, this is nothing new.

The first day Daniel had his license he picked me up at 1 in the morning we drove about 60 miles out of town and ran out of gas. My mom wasn't too happy when I showed up at 5 with the state trooper. She said "Why can't you be more like your sister, she's sound asleep in her bed." She then went on to tell me to stay away from Daniel and that he was no good for me. Daniel and I have practically been inseparable ever since. She soon dropped trying to get me away from him and got used to me frequently disappearing. Not like it matters now she doesn't care if I come or go.

It's turning dark now and I'm starving. So I hop off the hood and make my way to the driver's seat Daniel reluctantly follows. I make my way onto the highway searching for a gas station and after 20 minutes spot one. It's old and worn down so our rusty pickup fits right in. Daniel hands me a $20 and I run inside, I put $10 on the pump and ask where the bathroom is.

I look at myself in the cracked mirror, I look like I've been hit by a truck and feel like it too. Makeup 2 or 3 days old runs down my face and my hair is streaked with mud, of course Daniel didn't say anything he's never been one for details. I wash myself up then go buy a bag of Doritos,  2 Mountain Dews and for good measure a bottle of aspirin. When I return Daniel's in the driver's seat, I get in and we drive.

"Where to now, Cap-i-tan?"

"I'm taking you home so you can sleep off this hangover."

"Ughh" I would argue but I know he's right. The drive home takes 2 hours and by the time we're back it's dark out. I get out walk to the door then turn and salute him. He grins and salutes back, this is the last time I see Daniel.