Chapter 39

When we finally got through the line, there was a man in a small glass and metal box on the other side of the gate with a clipboard. 

"Ages," He demanded, not wasting any time, pressing a button that transmitted his voice into a speak beside our car. 

"Fourteen all around, nearly fifteen," Drew said out the window. 

"Actually I'm thirteen," Alice called from the back. 

"And how many of you are there?" 

Drew counted quickly, "Eight." 

The man nodded and pressed the speaker button again. "Any bites or direct contact with a zombie within the last 48 hours?" 

"No sir," Drew shook his head. 

"Alrighty then. Come on in." The guard pressed a button and the gate's door creaked, slowly inching up. Drew drove us inside and the gate closed, hundreds of protesting people shouting insults and threats and pleas behind us. 

"Oh one more thing," The guard said, and Drew poked his head out the window. "Nice driving, son. Stay safe." 

"Thank you, sir," Drew said, looking proud. Flashing orange lights led us along the parking lot. Drew parked the car, on top of the line but not caring, and we filed out. A guard in black and grey pointed us to the building, urging us along. 

We walked into the building, Asher pulling Luke in the wagon. The inside was grey, grey carpeting, a dark green plant growing in the corner, planted in a silver planter. 

"Welcome, please come this way," A woman said. She had short blonde hair. "You'll have to be checked out for any bites or illnesses before you can enter the main part of the building. Good luck!" She turned and walked briskly away. 

A moment passed, and nothing happened. 

"Ohh," Tobin said, "Over here guys." We side-stepped a few feet, revealing a hallway with at least fifty people waiting in line: Mostly young people, a mother with a baby on her hip, some toddlers. They probably don't want to take in anyone who will die soon. 

"Guess we should get in line then," Drew grimaced at the long line, looking at me as if I wouldn't make it. 

I patted his shoulder. "Thanks for worrying about me. You're a great friend. But I think I can make it. I'll sit down if I get tired." 

He smiled, a look of wisdom and appreciation. "Alright, cool." 

We waited for about two and a half hours. 

When we finally got to the front of the line, a young woman would admit us into a room one at a time. I was near the back, between Charlotte and Drew, so Drew went right before me, spinning around to give me a hopeful glance and a thumbs-up. I returned it and he disappeared into the room. 

Five minutes later, it was my turn. 

I hugged Charlotte, for luck. "See ya," I said optimistically, shooting a smile at the rest of my companions. Asher still had Luke in the wagon, behind Alice. Tobin had already gone into the room, along with Athena, who'd gone first. 

The woman looked tired, wearing a white lab coat. She led me to a table, where I hopped up. Just like the doctors office. She had a small clipboard. 

The room was small, white, with several machines, a silver table and three silver chairs, and another door where I assumed people who didn't pass the test exited. 

"Name?" The woman asked. 

"Autumn," I replied, and she nodded, scrawling it out. She had me step onto a scale, and ran a machine over my entire body after I'd changed into a paper gown. 

She took my weight, frowning at whatever the computer printed that the machine had just measured. "This is just to see if you have any infected bacterium on your body," She reassured. Then, she got a shot and drew some of my blood. 

After numerous tests, she sat me down at a table. 

"Where was your previous location?" She asked, her eyes scanning me and then the clipboard. 

"Some facility with other survivors," I said truthfully, "Not too far from here, maybe forty minutes on the highway." 

The woman nodded. "And you had travelling companions, did you not?" 

"I did," I confirmed. She asked me a few more questions about them, names and dates, making check-marks and small notes on the clipboard. 

The woman nodded. "Well since your bite has been treated and it has been more than thirty-six hours, you are free to stay! You look pretty healthy, considering... Maybe a little malnourished. We will notify you if there's any problems. I assume they have you on some sort of medication?" 

I nodded, wondering how she knew. Maybe they had some new technology that scanned your blood test very quickly. 

"That should wear off in a few days." The woman smiled for the first time, a real smile that rose to her eyes. "You'll receive a key-card outside. Enjoy your stay!"

I grinned at her as she opened the door. "Thank you so much!" I gushed, wanting to hug her. 

She smiled warmly, but hidden behind it was some sort of pain. I wondered how long she'd been doing this job, how many people didn't get a key-card. 

She shut the door gently. 

Drew and Athena were waiting for me, along with Tobin. They were all talking, grim-faced. Upon spotting me, Drew rushed over, hugging me tightly. 

"You made it! I knew you could!" He said cheerfully, choking me. I hugged him back though.

I made an exaggerated gagging noise, and he let go. "Thanks. I'm glad you all made it through too." 

Tobin surprised me by giving me a side hug. I relaxed into his tall figure. "Glad you made it, Autumn." 

"Thanks, Tobin," I said, blushing, not used to any display of affection from him. 

"Yup," He backed away and gave me a thumbs-up. 

"Good job," Athena said, as if I'd had a choice to pass or not. 

I smiled anyway, "Thanks." 

Drew's face had gone to stone, the worried expression the three of them had been wearing when I'd emerged from the room. 

"What?" I mumbled, almost afraid to know. 

"We don't think Luke is going to pass."