Chapter 4

I got up from the grass, and opened the gate. Reuben trotted to the fence.

"I'll be back later, boy. Just going out." I opened the screen door and put on my shoes. "Mom, I'm going out!"

No response.

"Ok! I'll see you later!"

And I was gone. Lukas's house wasn't far from mine, at all. Just a couple of blocks. I walked up the steps, and knocked on the door. Lukas answered it.

"Hey, Jess." He said.

"Lukas!" I hugged him.

"Woah! What's going on?"

"Sorry," I let go. "It's just, the last time I saw you, you died."

"You really care about me, don't you?"

"Nah, I hate you." I said, playfully.

"Well, maybe we can talk about it over some ice cream. You ready to go?"

"Ready when you are."

"Alrighty, then. Shall we?" He asked, holding his arm out.

I put my hand on my chest, pretending to be flattered. "My, what a gentleman." We linked arms and walked down the street.

I enjoyed every second of this moment. That dream, though. What did it mean? It felt like I was running, and his hand... My God, his hand. The worst feeling. And, I was crying in my sleep. I didn't let it bother me. Lukas was here, and that was all I cared about.

He opened the door of the ice cream place, and let me in first. "M'lady."

I giggled, and walked inside. It was cold, but I could stand it.

"OK. So what do you want?" I asked.

"I don't know. What're you getting?"

"I'll just get what you get."

"I just said I don't know."

I giggled. "Why do we do that?"

"It's just our thing."

I smiled. I did care about him. And I loved him. I wouldn't have told him so, if it wasn't true.

The ice cream was OK, I got plain vanilla, and Lukas got chocolate. After that, he walked me home.

"Thanks, again." I said. "For walking me home."

"Well, I guess you don't hate me, anymore?" Lukas asked with a smile.

"I'll think about it. Goodnight."

"See ya."

I closed the door. I leaned against it, and beamed. "Mom! I'm home!" I yelled. No answer. "OK, cool. Mom's probably out." I said, out loud. I opened the screen door, and sat in the grass, with Reuben.

I sighed. Reuben oinked at me. "Of course, I love him. God, I love him, so much."

I tried to sleep, but I couldn't. Not after what happened in my dream. So I just lay there, looking for constellations.

After a while, I heard a car pull into the driveway. Probably my mom. I got up, and walked inside.

"Jesse, I'm home!" My mom yelled.

"Me too!" I smiled. "Where did you go?"

"Just out with some lady friends. And how about you? Don't think I don't know you've been going out, too."

"Well, I've been going out with my guy friend." I just "friend zoned" him. That made me feel weird.

She sighed. "Just, go get ready for bed. You've got school tomorrow."

"Of course I do."

I headed into my room and changed into a plain white shirt and my old gym shorts to sleep in. I walked into the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and tied my hair into a messy bun.

I climbed the ladder of my bunk bed, and fell asleep.

Morning came quickly, and school was my priority. I wanted to get into a really good college, but with my grades there was no way I was.

I got dressed, ate some breakfast, and finished my morning routine. It was finally Friday. I didn't need to worry about school for two whole days.

I grabbed my bag, and headed out the door. I didn't walk with Lukas in the mornings. He took a different route there.

I made it to the front of my school, and opened the door.

Time Skip

I closed my locker, and Lukas walked up to me.

"Hey, Luke!"

"Hey!" He smiled. "I'm gonna go out with a couple of friends tonight, OK?"

I nodded, and he walked me back to my house.

"I'm gonna go get ready, OK?"

"OK! See you tomorrow, Luke!" I closed the front door, and leaned on the other side.

"Hi, sweety! How was school?" My mom asked, solving a crossword puzzle, so I knew she wasn't listening.

"It was good!" I slipped off my shoes, and opened the back door. Rueben was fast asleep on the cool grass. I smiled at him. I sat next to him and pulled out my homework. I finished it early, so I relaxed next to Rueben.

I sat up when I heard the screen door open. "Jesse, dinner!" My mom called.

"Ok, I'm coming." I stood up, and walked inside.

ANOTHER TIME SKIP

I sat in the grass, studying the movements of each piece. It was something I did often, and I used it as an escape from the world.

My pocket buzzed. I picked up my phone. Luke?

"Luke? You OK?" I asked.

"J-Jesse...?" Lukas stuttered.

Tears welled up in my eyes. "Luke? Where are you?"

"I-I'm- I need help..."

"Are you by the lighthouse...?"

"No-why would I be all the way up there...?"

I sighed in relief.

"I- I just got shot..."

—————————————————

You guys forgot about this book, didn't you? Well, I didn't! I'm so evil.