The Herald and The Keepers

It's been long since She had been back here.

She never really was  fond of dark places.

It reminded Her too much of Her own dark place. A small quiet room, dimly lit by the gap of a single wooden door that separated her from the light she so solely yearn for. Most of her time would be spent staring outside the slit, occasionally catching sight of the shadow of a winged beast only for it to be eventually obscured by a man's.

There again, to bring her outside for only a few short moments, moments she did her best to savor, moments where she would glimpse at the orange sky, feel the gust of wind blow her hair and breath the air of the outside. Before descending down the elevator to another dark room. She hated this room even more than her own, feared it more even. She even had nightmares about it, waking up usually screaming for dear life, before bursting into tears at the images that plagued her dreams.

It wasn't long before her wings were finally clipped off.

Flapping them, and hovering just slightly above the ground was the only form of enjoyment that she had in her isolation.

It was hard to think that they weren't there anymore. Sometimes, in her absent thoughts, she'd try flapping them again. And each time, she was achingly reminded that they weren't there anymore.

The phantom pain would have her tossing about at night, reaching out to comfort them, only to grasp at nothing.

It was a time She wished would leave her mind.

Two large scars were left painfully visible on her back, a sorrowful reminder of what was once something she cherished, disfiguring her skin and as a result, was forced to hide them. She wasn't very fond of dresses. Usually they were tight and uncomfortable to wear. But the insistent shouts of the Man instilled the habit of covering every bit of skin on her body and she had been wearing them ever since.

The cool air of the cavern blew softly on Her face, releasing Her from these past thoughts and walked even faster to Her destination.

It was strange, Her Monarch had come. Had left for the Tower of Flame. But yet, why is it that She sensed another's presence within the Fire? It was obvious that someone other than Him had rested in its warmth, it was only a matter of who it was.

At first, it was hardly something worth acknowledging, but slowly as time passes, the presence became increasingly noticeable. Someone was garnering more and more souls, growing stronger by the second, perhaps even faster than Her Monarch.

She asked the others if they knew anything. The Knight, Blacksmith and Merchant. But none knew anything save for The Merchant who told Her of a strange, terrifying man with a mask, whose mere presence drove him back to His stall but other than that there was nothing more.

The Feline had yet to give Its say in the matter, in fact, it seemed whenever She went to confront It, It'll be soundly asleep, arousing Her suspicions even further. With no other choice, She left to seek answers from an outside source, departing only after strengthening Her Monarch once more for His next venture.

The path She walks was a simple one. A straight narrow walkway, with multiples paths branching off to even smaller caves. But Her journey's end lies just up ahead.

Not much had changed from the first time She had been here, apart from a wooden cart. She also made note of the lighted Bonfire as She reached closer to the door. She raised Her hand, slowly bringing it closer towards the wooden door and froze.

She hesitated. A part of Herself reluctant to face them once again. But the urge to know kept Her rooted to the spot, Her hand inches away from the door. She blinked, took a deep breath, and after another moment of hesitation, knocked.