{1} Pre-face

To start this off, I'd like to mention that I didn't actually die. Not that the title is some click bait type of thing. I would never tell a lie, just as Umbridge had taught me. Oh, believe me, it's a hell of a story. And I'll be sure to recount every little detail. Otherwise, how would anyone believe that I'm not making it up? Fair warning, however; some parts may be mature. And every name except for mine was changed out of respect and privacy. Happy reading.

"You're kidding me." Peter's striking green eyes narrowed at me, and his lack of amusement was visible within the frown that wrinkled his young face. I shrugged my shoulders sheepishly, searching my thoughts for something to say to smooth things over.

It had always been this way. Every word that had ever come out of my mouth was meticulously crafted to perfection. I had created this image of myself in front of Peter that I would never want to chip in the slightest. He viewed me exactly how I wanted him to see me; and that speaks volumes given that I was three years his junior. Not that he was ignorant or transparent of course. I would never even think to associate those terms with him. To describe Peter, it would take a separate story to untangle his personality. But Peter isn't a main part of this story. He is still relevant, of course. My fifteen-year-old self would never hesitate to include him as an other, plus one, & company, miscellaneous...etc. But let's not get off track here.

"Honey, you know I would love nothing more than to spend each and every passing day with you." I am pleasantly surprised I didn't vomit. My voice came out sickly sweet yet genuine. I stare him down, matching his green eyes with my own. A few seconds pass before a dramatic sigh leaves my mouth. I break the eye contact purposefully and look down at the floor, pumping some sorrow into my voice.

"If I had any say in the matter, I would have gladly cancelled this." As if. "But I promised Laura months ago that I would be there for this year's Independence Day." No, I didn't. "And not only that, I kind of have to be there for her right now. She's really hung up over this guy." There was no guy.

Peter pursed his lips and lifted my chin up, studying my countenance like he always does.

"Babe, I know. I get it. But you promised that we would spend the summer together, now that we actually have time to see each other. And you're going away for ten whole days! That's practically half of the summer apart." Peter really needed a haircut. His light brown hair had become unkempt and untidy. I pretend to avoid his gaze as I stared at the poorly applied gel, which did not suit his face. Maybe he should go for a buzzcut. I found myself shaking my head slightly, knowing that wouldn't compliment his boyish looks and round face. I should get Peter to join a gym.

"Nicole." The sound of my name snaps me back into reality and I realize I zoned out again. A grin crosses my face that is too wide to be sincere. I plant a quick peck on him.

"Sorry. I was just thinking about how much I will miss you." I pout, knowing it looked completely bogus and played it up even more. Peter's face softens and he tilts his head to the side.

"I'm gonna miss you so much." He wraps me in a bear hug and squeezes so tight I was surprised my ribs stayed intact. I couldn't even hug him back since my arms were lost somewhere in that mess of a hug. I knew Peter mistook the silence that followed for a soundless loving answer and didn't loosen his grip. I let out a deep breath, trying to get some oxygen into my crushed lungs.

"Oh, darling, I love you too." Peter responds to no one and finally lets me go. I could feel my heart pounding in my ears and my breathing quickening as I recovered from that assault of a hug.