LESSON 5: Verb

Verbs in Korean sentences are the most important part of the sentence and it can take many different forms, depending on who you are talking to. In fact, it is the only part you need for the sentence to be complete.

먹다 (meokda) is the dictionary form of the verb "to eat." The dictionary form consists of the verb root, 먹 (meok) in this example, and the 다 (da) ending. Go ahead, look up a few of your favorite verbs on our previous lesson to start building a strong foundation of Korean verbs. You will see all forms they list end in 다 (da). If you remove the 다 (da) ending, you will be left with the verb root. The verb root of 먹다 (meokda) is 먹 (meok). The verb root by itself has no meaning. You must remove the 다 (da) ending and replace it with a different ending depending on what you want to say and who you want to say it to.

Conjugation rules will often depend on if there is a 받침 "bachim" (the final consonant or consonant cluster at the end of a Korean syllable) or not. The consonant in the 받침 "bachim" position is said to be in the "final position."

There are three very distinct endings for speaking and writing. Formal, Polite, and Casual.

FORMAL ENDING ㅂ니다 (mnida) / 습니다 (sumnida)

This pattern is used for formal declarative sentences. This grammar pattern appears in formal situations and be heard in such places as the subway and bus announcements and the news. This pattern can also be used when the speaker wants to show a higher level of respect, especially to elders. For interrogative sentences (questions), you must use the pattern Adjective/Verb + (스)ㅂ니까 "(seu)mnikka."

1. ㅂ니다 - use if there is no 받침 or if the adj/verb stem ends with a ㄹ
Example: 다 (gada) "to go" becomes 갑니다 (gamnida) "going"

Expressions:
감사합니다 (kamsahamnida) = thank you very much
저는 배가 고픕니다 (jeoneun baega gopeumnida) = I'm hungry

2. 습니다 - use if there is a 받침 at the end of the adj/verb stem
Example: 다 (meokda) "to eat" becomes 먹습니다 (meokseumnida) "eating"

Expressions:
고맙습니다 (gomapseumnida) = thank you (for familiar people who have a higher rank or status)
만나서 반갑습니다 (mannaseo bangapseumnida) = nice to meet you

3. Adjective/Verb + (스)ㅂ니까 "(seu)mnikka" can only be used for questions.

ㅂ니까 = 다 becomes 갑니까 (gamnikka) "do you go?" (same rule as #1: no 받침)
습니까 = 다 becomes 먹습니까 (meokseumnikka) "do you eat?" (same rule as #2: has 받침)

Expressions:
여행을 좋아합니까? (Yeohaeng-eul joh-ahamnikka?) = Do you like traveling?
무슨책을 읽습니까? (Museun chaeg-eul iksseumnikka?) = What are you reading?