Four

Four

*~*~*~*

"You ready?" I asked Clary when I found her out in the main area, talking with Simon. She only gave a small nod, though I could see the doubt clouding her features.

"Let's get out of here." Simon said, gesturing between the three of us. "Just the three of us. We can get Dot ourselves."

"Simon, there are demons out there, okay?" Clary reminded him. "Actual demons with tentacles that wanna murder us. Do you know how to kill a demon?"

"I'm an internet search away." He shrugged before glancing at me. "Besides, doesn't Cici know how to do that stuff?"

"He's got a point." I admitted, liking the idea of slipping off from the Institute, getting away from the others once again.

"Simon, I don't think it's that simple." Clary shook her head, ignoring my comment.

"I bet you it's not that hard." He countered as Jace and Isabelle joined us. We all followed them over to where Isabelle opened a shelf that held several different seraph blades.

"No, Izzy." Jace slapped Isabelle's hand away from them.

"Fifty bucks says he doesn't approve this mission." Isabelle bet as she saw our brother heading towards us.

"Now that's just not a fair bet." I said, remembering how strict Alec could be about the rules. How strict I had once been as well.

"I don't approve of this mission." Alec told all of us. "I spoke with the Clave. They're sending Seelie scouts to search for Valentine, but they made it clear, the little girl does not leave the premises."

"Hey, my name is not "little girl", okay?" Clary glared at him. "I don't care what that Clave thing or you want, I'm going to find Dot."

"I'm going with her." I backed up my friend, earning a sharp look from Alec.

"Alec, this warlock could have the answers we need." Jace pointed out. "With Valentine's people out there searching for Clary, she's not safe outside alone."

"Jace has a point." Isabelle nodded, earning the same look from Alec that I had. He looked around at all of us for a moment before a sigh escaped him, his gaze settling on Clary.

"All right, since you have all the answers, where do you suggest we search?" Alec questioned her.

"We should start at Dot's apartment in Greenpoint, and there's this thrift store that she..." Clary gasped, cutting herself off as she stared at nothing for a moment.

"Clary?" I looked at my friend, worried as I softly placed a hand on her shoulder, seeming to snap her out of whatever trance she'd fallen into.

"What's wrong? What is it?" Jace asked her.

"I, um..." Clary shook her head. "Weirdly, I think I know where Dot is."

"Great. I'll drive." Simon volunteered, causing us all to look at him. "What? Unless you have, like, a Shadowhunter-mobile or something." None of us said a word as we just continued to look at him, making his glance nervously at Jace. "You were kidding about the runes on the floor killing me... right?"

"Possibly." Jace shrugged, teasing him as we all headed towards the door.

"Wait, am I gonna die?" Simon asked as he hurried after all of us.

*~*~*~*

"Dot." Clary whispered as she led all of us down an alley, her eyes widening before she took off running. "Dot!"