Chapter 2

Present day

"I LOVE YOU TAPE FACE!" I scream at my television as tape face preforms on Americas Got Talent. I squeal and hug my pillow. My mother looks at me confused then at the television then back to me.
     "Lola Lorica Bellerose  what in gods name has gotten into you?" I look at my mom blushing. 
     "Umm. I love tape face?" I say and my moms crystal eyes get darker. I gulp. "I mean he is an amazing performer and intriguing to watch." I ramble as fast as possible. My grandmother laughs making my mother rip her eyes off me and to look at grandmother.
     "Oh Taylor calm down. Leave the poor girl alone. She is allowed to  like a young gentlemen." My eyes widen at her words.
     "Oh no grand mother I don't li-" She looks over at me her eyes twinkling evil. Mother slowly turns towards me.
     "You. like. him?" she says each word deliberately and slowly. I gulp. This is second grade all over again. when I said I loved James Henderson. 
     "No mother! No!" She raises a perfect blonde eyebrow. "Well yes he is a great performer but not in that way." Mother smiles and goes back to her knitting.
    "watch your words young laddie. Words have power."  she says softly. mother is normally an easy going person until the L word is said. Once that word is said you unleash a monster that can not be killed. "Watch your program your bed time is nearing." I groan into the pillow. I slowly slide it down my face.
    "Mother I am 18 years old. who in the world has a bed time at 9 o'clock?" She looks up at me her eyes back to light blue.
    "Well young laddie you have a bed time of 9 o'clock. That is the only one that matters to me." I pout.
    "Okay fine." I huff.  I look down at my younger sister. Mavis. She is the vision of perfection. If someone said angels did not  existed i would laugh in their face and show them Mavis. She is two minutes younger then me but she is perfection in the flesh. Her hair practically glows gold, her eyes are the perfect shade of blue, and she is tall and thin like a model. I sigh. Why cant I look like her. Mavis looks up at me and her angelic frowns. 
    "Whats wrong Lola?" she says sitting up fixing her dress. I shake my head.

    "Nothing Mavis. Nothing at all." I say the last part to my self. Mother never allows Mavis to leave. She is home schooled and is never allowed to step foot out of the house unless mother, grandmother, and myself are with her. Mother always is weary and afraid for her.Me on the other hand. I go to school and dot have crazy protection. I look back at mother and see she has a small bump under her massive jacket. my eyebrows rise and I look at my grandmother questioningly. Grandmother feels me staring and looks up. I look at her then at moms belly. Grandmother sighs and gets up.
     "Come along Lola I need your assistance preparing for dinner." Mavis looks up at us innocently. That girl may be my twin but she is just to sweet and I want to keep her like that. 
      "Do you need my help as well grandmother?" Mavis asks. Grandmother smiles and pets Mavis face gently.
      "No Mavis my dear. Why dont you stay here with your mother? I have Lola to help if I need anything. I might be old but im not old." Grandmother says and Mavis smiles brightly at her.
     "Your not that old Grandmother!" Mavis says and we all laugh. Grandmother waddles to the kitchen and I follow her. In my entire life I have never seen a males face grace our pictures. I look at the pictures of Mavis and I. Then I see a picture of mother alone. Then there is grandmother with her sisters Velm and Lydia. Not a single picture in our apartment is of a man. I mean it takes two conceive a child right? so where is the sperm doner. Grandmother coughs and I hurry after her. She gives me a pointed look and hands the bread to me. I begin to cut it and make sandwiches for dinner. 
       "So is mother pregnant?" I whisper to grandmother. She looks over at me and sighs as she being to make a salad.
      "Yes." she whispers back. I gasp. My entire life mother has told us how important it is not to fall for boys and how we must stay away from them because in the end they will only cause  pain in our life. 
     "How far along?" i whisper back. mother has gained allot of weight but not enough to make Mavis question.

     "About 18 weeks." I gasp again. I swear I'm becoming a fish....

    "What is the gender?" I ask. Grandmother stops cutting the lettuce and slowly turns towards me. 

    "A girl. Don't even think about the baby being anything else." Grandmother nearly hisses out. "Mavis darling come here!" Grandmother yells and Mavis come in the kitchen moment after.
   "Yes?" She asks as she leans back on her heels then back on the balls of her feet making her white dress twirl around her.
    "Help your sister prepare for dinner darling. Grandmother feels faint." Mavis gets a worried look. and reaches for grandmother.
    "Would you like me to help you to the other room?" She asks. Grandmother shakes her head and leaves to go to mother. "What are you making Lola?" Mavis asks. 
    "Sandwiches and a big salad. Moms favorite." I say. I point at the half made salad."if you could finish this that would be amazing. Im on the last sandwich now." Mavis nods and begins working on the salad I finish the the sandwich and go to the table. I place each sandwich down and Mavis puts the salad on the middle of the table. I go to mother and grand mother.  "Dinner is served I say gently as grandmother gets up first and leaves. I go to mother and help her stand. She looks at me confused but I place a hand on her belly. "You are running out of baggy cloths mother." I smile softly. She places her hand above mine and kisses my cheek. 
     "Dont tell Mavis yet" I nod. "Now let me be we dont want to stress your sister out." I sigh. as I let mother go. I turn the television off as I look out the window. I wont say it dosent hurt to know my twin is favored and that she gets spacial treatment. I see how mother cherishes Mavis and worships the ground she walk on. Mother seems even prepared for greatness from Mavis. I sigh as I lean my head on the window. I love Mavis and I know its not her fault but there is so little I can do to prove myself. I am the valedictorian in my school, I am cheer captain, I started a program to get elementary students interested in science but mother only says good and has me teach Mavis in her school work. I always have had to be careful to never let Mavis see the bad in the world or to not upset her. I have witnessed horrible thing up to the point of my best friend dying in my arms but mother simply shrugged it off.
     "Lola?" Mavis angelic voice rings behind me. I smile at her.
     "Yes?" i ask. I am not even close to hating my sister. On the contrary I love her to no end. I hate how my mother raised.
     "Are you not hungry?" She asks. I sigh. She was the only one aware of my eating disorder last year. Mother and grandmother didnt realize. I shrug and hug myself. She comes over and hugs me. Lavender and mint. "its okay Lola. Jut eat something small. Dont shut down on me again." She whispers and I nod. We walk back to the dining room and mother finished and so has grandmother. By the looks of it so has Mavis. Of course mother wouldn't let her move until she ate. Mother looks up at me and smiles. 
      "Well ladies I'm calling it a night. Mom are you coming to bed?" Grandmother sighs and gets up.
      "Might as well." she whispers . Mother kisses Mavis on the forehead and leaves grandmother looks back before she goose to bed with mom.  "Goodnight girls. sweet dreams." She whispers and follows mom. Our apartment is not to three bedrooms. one for mother and grandmother, one for Mavis and I, and the is a study where Mavis and I work on school work and mother teaches Mavis how to sing. I know strange but mother wants Mavis to be singer ironically enough. I think she would be good at it. She is pretty and her voice is so soft and kind. Mavis looks at me tapping her foot. I sigh and grab an apple. I show her then take a bite. I sit at the table and Mavis sits next to me.
     "Its a start." she murmurs. I smile. I reamber how Mavis would wake me up every night and force me to eat. Some nights were better then other. She was the only one by my side when I was going down hill. 
    "Sing for me?" I ask and she smiles. she pushes a strand of hair behind my ear and starts to sing.
     "You are my princesses, you are my sun

Your kindness my only love

You're the reason I wake up

Day

By

Day

You are my only love.

My princess my sunshine

My smile, my life." she fishes softly. Mother has done good. She is softer and gentler with pronouncing her words.  I clap.
     "Amazing Mavis!" I say and she blushes at my words. 
    "My voice is nothing compared to you." She says back I laugh it off. 
    "Mavis you know mother is turning you into a singer do not interfere with her plans." I scold. I finish the apple then I take Mavis hand and we go to bed. "Night Mavis" i whisper.
    "Night Lola." She whispers back. As I close my eyes a dark mass of nothing clams me and I greet it with open arms.