Chapter 9: The World

Steve's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the longest plane ride I have ever been in. But we made it, I watched as the SHIELD paramedics took her from the quinjet. I watched as they prepped her for surgery and then waited, and waited for her to come out.

I was sitting in the waiting room along with the others, when a nurse walked in and called Natasha's name. All of us, Avengers, stood up.

"Follow me," said the nurse.

She led us into a white room filled with medical equipment. Natasha lay unconscious on the bed. Thank goodness she was alive.

"Will she be alright,"I asked the doctor.

"The bullet missed mostly everything important, and the surgery was a success so she should be waking up soon," the doctor assured us.

"Oh,thank god,"Clint breathed.
We all took a breath.She would live. I saw Wanda silently crying to herself so I went over and held her. We all took a moment. None of us had slept, we had hardly even blinked, because of the shock.

"We should go now she needs rest and so do we," Tony nodded.

They all left the hospital and went back to the SHIELD base. But I couldn't leave her, I owed her at least that much. My tiredness slowly took over and I fell asleep in the chair next to her.
______________________

Natasha's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I could feel the blinding fluorescent lights as I woke up to the sound of soft breathing. Steve. He was so handsome and calm. He actually stayed here for me. His eyes slowly flutter awake.

"You're awake," he acknowledged, with a kindness in his eyes. I smiled back at him.

"Why did you do it, why did you take a bullet for me,"he looked down.

"I couldn't just let Americas golden boy fall, your more important than me anyway, the world needs you," I said.

"Nat don't say that you are important, you're the most important thing to me,"he told me. What was he saying.
Did he lo.., no he couldn't, just like I can't.

"You mean the same to me," I looked at him directly in the eyes. Those eyes the eyes that I've fallen in love with.
But no it can't happen, it won't happen. I won't let it.

"I owe you, twice now actually," he smirked at me.

"I don't care about that, I would jump in front of a bullet for you a thousand times over,"I told him.

"But I don't want you to, to put your life on the line for me, I don't know what I would do if I.. If I lost you,"he said.

"We don't always get what we want, life is complicated like that, but don't worry I would never go down without a fight, I could never leave you,"I said. I looked at him then, rapped my arms around his neck, and pulled him in tight. We were content like this, just being there together. Like it was us against the world.