Summer & Nash (One Shot) #AUG2016

"What's wrong, Nash?" I hang halfway out the car window, trying my best to let as little heat inside as possible.

I wait a moment and nothing.

No response.

This guy is going to drive me insane.

I sigh loudly and open the door to step outside

I sigh loudly and open the door to step outside. The sunshine greets me with way too much happiness. Gosh, how I hate the heat. I grew up in San Francisco and exchanged the cities nice mellow temperatures with blistering summer heat, when I accepted a job in Sacramento after graduating from college.

Now Nash and I are on our way from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe for a company retreat weekend. That is partially my fault because I failed to come up with a good enough excuse to refuse him in front of his father, who also happens to be my boss. We had made it about halfway through, when the car suddenly broke down. I'm also pretty sure that we took a wrong turn a while ago, so now we are lost in the middle of nowhere with nothing but forest around us.

"Nash, can you fix whatever is wrong so we can get the hell out of here?" I close the door to find the subject of my frustration, who I hope is doing something productive behind the propped-open hood.

Again, no response.

Just then he comes into view, raising his index finger to his mouth to give me the universal shut-your-mouth gesture.

"Yes, yes I understand

"Yes, yes I understand. Thank you for your help." He pushes a button on his phone and puts it in the front pocket of his jeans.

"I can see that you're still as impatient as ever, Summer." The corners of his lips pull up, and I just want to punch him in the face. I'm usually a very calm person, but somehow this man just pushes all of my buttons.

"Whatever, Nash. What's going on?"

"Well, it looks like the radiator might be broken. The tow-truck should be here in a couple of hours."

It takes me a moment to fully understand what he's saying. "What do you mean a couple hours?

"For whatever reason they are busy and it will take them some time to drive up here. Relax, we have some food, drinks, and a blanket in the car. We can have a little picnic until they get here." he says in a soothing and reassuring voice.