Different Path

Lily woke in the morning when Tracy and Danny did, and she didn't allow Tracy to talk her into letting June drop off Danny again. Lily said she was free and would get Danny from school, and that was the end of it.

     The only thing about that was when she was ready to get Danny, her car wouldn't start. She cursed and tried again and again to get the machine running with no luck. A part of her was tempted to call Tracy and tell her to ask June to get Danny, but a bigger part of her was determined not to do that. That bigger part won, and she ended up walking to the bus stop, knowing there was another stop near Danny's school. She was determined.

     That determination had her at Danny's school before the final bell rang, her pits sweating from the slight walk from the bus stop along with the hot sun weighing her down. She dreaded the way back to Tracy's but more she didn't want Danny to go through that. At the back of her mind she berated herself for being too proud to just let June get Danny.

     Practically panting, Lily willed school to be over so she could hurry and get back to the air conditioned safety of Tracy's place. The final bell did eventually ring but it took far too long for her liking. She stood on tip toes and searched for Danny with the eye of a hunter, wanting him in her grasp immediately. Children flew past her to get to their parents and she groaned until she spotted Danny. She sighed in relief and moved her arms rapidly to get him moving faster, smiling when he grabbed the straps of his pack and sprinted toward her. He crashed into her and pushed her back a step when he hugged her, and she pat his head, telling him that they had to get to the bus stop before they missed their ride. He accepted the situation without asking questions and followed her to the stop. They held sweaty hands the whole way there.

     At the bus stop, Lily stood to keep the sun off Danny, who was seated at the bench, holding the straps of his pack and swinging his legs wildly. He sounded like he was a rocket, stuck. Lily smiled down at him. He looked up and grinned.

     "Do you want a ride?"

     Lily jumped at the loud question and Danny whipped his head in its direction. It was June in her idling car, leaning over the passenger seat and speaking through the open window. Christina had her face pressed to the back window.

     "Do you want a ride?" June repeated. "It's way too hot to be waiting here for the bus."

     Danny squinted up Lily, sweat already forming on his face. Lily caved because she couldn't stand to see him that way. She agreed and the car doors clicked unlocked. She helped Danny into the back then took the front passenger seat. June smiled warmly.

     Cool air rushed around the inside of the car as all the windows were returned to their firmly shut positions, and Lily sighed gratefully, spreading her legs out. She tilted her head back and shut her eyes as Danny and Christina started to talk animatedly in the back. It was adorable listening to them go back and forth, laughing and giggling at each other.

     Then the back seats went quiet and Christina chirped, "Are you coming over?"

     Lily cracked open an eye. "Uh, I don't know..."

     Christina directed her next words at June. "Can they come over?"

     June chuckled, spreading her fingers out, her thumbs hooked underneath the steering wheel. "Well, I mean, sure." She turned to Lily when they reached a red light. "Do you want to come over? I know how hot it is and I'd be willing to set you up with some frozen fruit or ice cream or something."

     That actually sounded delicious to Lily. She peered into the rear view mirror and saw how hopeful Danny was. "You know what, sure. Why not?"