Chapter 4

Four 

Kain 

Daniel and Marisol gasped when Julian returned with Brendan in tow. I'd taught myself to try and be indifferent toward the guy even though he had beaten me to her. Eviana and I were always promised to each other for marriage. I'd hoped for that to happen. I was even willing to let her continue seeing Brendan. But she had picked him and instead of cutting her out of my life completely, I had to learn to compromise. 

Yet when he took her to bed a few nights ago and then snuck out like a coward afterwards, I had little room left for forgiveness. She deserved someone better. Someone who would always love her like I do. 

"Why is he here?" Palmer asked before I could. 

Julian crossed behind us and sat back down on his stool. "I already told you. We need him." 

"I don't think we do," I said without breaking eye contact with Brendan. "Besides, she wouldn't want to see him." Brendan flinched and I felt a twinge of satisfaction knowing those words bothered him. 

"It doesn't matter," Julian continued. "I need him and I can't think of anyone else who would do whatever it takes to help Eviana." 

I huffed at the same time Palmer, Marisol, and Daniel made a noise of dissatisfaction. Everyone in this room was willing to sacrifice something to get Eviana back. Brendan was nothing special. 

He was the last person Eviana wanted to see. I was sure of it. But that wasn't the most important issue right now. We needed a plan, and whether or not it included Brendan, we needed a plan at once. 

Brendan shuffled over to the table and grabbed a chair. We all watched in silence as he tossed his duffle bag to the floor and sat down without making a sound. It was comical, and perhaps rather fitting, that his chair was much lower than the rest of the bar stools. We all looked down on him like a scolded puppy. And that's exactly what he was. 

Although I was the one that had been skewered with the sword, Brendan looked way worse. His dark hair hung loosely around his face and it appeared that he hadn't shaved in days. The large circles under his eyes did little to hide his distress. I wanted to tell him that he wasn't going to land an unsuspecting human female breeder with that kind of look, but decided it would be counterproductive. Still, I relished in the thought that he was suffering. He deserved it.  

"Let's continue," Julian said. 

Troy, in his ever-professional and military demeanor, took control of the conversation. We couldn't determine the exact logistics until we knew where she was being held. That's where I came in. I would try to contact Abhainn later tonight and ask for his assistance. The sprite was a friend of ours and I felt rather confident that he would do what he could. 

"How do we handle all of the ratchets and selkies that Lucian will surely have guarding the place?" Brendan asked. 

"Did somebody speak?" Daniel snapped in a very childish manner. Marisol giggled. 

"You're not helping," I said, surprised that I felt kind of bad for Brendan. Well, maybe not that bad. Daniel let out a deep breath and gave me a look that said he wasn't happy. 

"We will need to ask for Abhainn's assistance with that too," Julian replied. 

"Well how many are going to go?" Daniel asked. 

"As few as possible. It will depend on the location. We'll have to regroup once Abhainn returns to us," I said. 

The doorbell rang again and everyone instantly turned to look at Julian. "What?" he asked.