Level Two

My co-writer, Passion2Write, is writing every other chapter. She wrote this one and will be doing level four. She's awesome. Keep reading and don't forget to comment! (:

Level Two

            "It was just a miss... I didn't want to hurt her! She's my... my mother," I force fake tears out my eyes. A quick to learn lesson at home. The same thought runs through my mind as I try to find a solution: Keep Kinley safe, keep Kinley safe. I'd trade myself to Mom at once for Kinley to be safe. I have learned to hide my pain, but Kinley gets hit overtime, not knowing how to blanket herself. I could feel her. Her fear keeps thundering through me, vibrating my bones.

            "Well, then miss," the officer looks up from her paper, "Skyler. We can send you and your sister home now—"

            "NO!" I scream while jumping up from the seat. I quickly realize my reaction and fix it. "My mother isn't... kind to Kinley," I scramble for the right words. Words slam against my head every time I try to talk: Save Kinley, save Kinley, save Kinley!! "She hits her and... and tries to upset her... uh... every day, but she doesn't do that to me. She loves me."            

            The officer looks at me like she doesn't buy it. I start thinking of other ways out. She sighs, "Well, since we have no evidence against your mother ,you may go back with her. But, from your... ah... 'report' we'll have to hold your sister for just a few days." She stands up and I quickly follow. We stroll out of the room and back into the police station.

            Happiness crowds my mind. I did it! I have to hold myself back from jumping into the air. A smile creeps onto my face when I see Kinley fidgeting in her chair. I skip up to her and grab her hand. She looks at me while tilting her head to the side.

            I bend down and meet her at eye level "Kinley, you're free."

            She rears back, letting the thought soak in. Her eyes widen and her grin grows wider as she figures out what I said.  She jumps from the chair and hugs me, whispering in my ear, "We're free?"

            My heart shatters. I can't tell her about me. I just can't hurt her anymore. "You are going to stay with the nice officer for a few days. Away from Mom," I forcefully try to keep the fake smile on my face. Her minds continues whirling, decoding what I meant.

            "But you're not coming with me, are you?" She whispers, tightening her grip on my hand.

            "No, Kinley. I'm not. I'm going back to Mom," I answer sullenly, knowing I won't be able to hide it from her anyway. I take a deep breath as her face drops ten feet, along with her heart.

            "But Skyler, you can't; you can't go back! She'll hurt you!! No, no, no!! I... I won't let you!" She grabs my legs in a death grip. I chuckle darkly. God, I'm going to miss her. As long as she has a life, I'll get through Mom fine. A tear drops from my eyes as I watch her trying to save me. I grab her shoulder and pull her off me. Tears run down her face, leaving only trails of despair.

            "Be strong. I love you. You need a life, and you'll get one now. Be good."

            Her lip quivers as she fights to be fierce. "I  love you, Skyler. Don't let her hurt you."

            I smile at my sister's stormy eyes, more gray over her powerful blue then ever before. I pull her into a huge bear hug. I stroke her knotted hair. I breathe in her smell, since this may be the last time I can do it. I bite my lip to stop a sob. I know I need to be strong for her. Show her the role model she needs as a small, scared girl.