Chapter 1||Black & White

Clarke

Clarke stood before her dad's grave in a black dress appropriate for a funeral. Wilted flowers sat peacefully on the marble grave stone along with a few other items that were not of importance to her.

Her face was expressionless and her eyes were glazed over with a look of scorn and unhappiness. He didn't deserve this.

Not in a million years did Clarke think that she'd lose her best friend. Never thought that she'd lose the person she was closest to.

"I'm sorry." She managed to say quietly. She knew he couldn't hear her because he was dead but she didn't care. Clarke was too stricken with unbearable guilt to care.

She carefully picked up the wilted flowers and placed down a new brightly coloured bouquet. "Hope you like these ones."

She stood and gave a very sad smile. "See you later dad." She gave his gravestone a wave before she headed off in the opposite direction.

In the direction of her brothers car.

***

"You okay?" The older sibling asked as Clarke climbed into the passenger seat.

"Not really." She quietly mumbled. She buckled herself in and peered out the window as Lincoln started up the car.

"Me neither." He gave her a sad smile as he pulled out of the parking space he had chosen earlier.

The both of them sat in silence as Lincoln drove them towards the outer edge of the city.

Before they got too far he asked, "Are you hungry?"

"No." Clarke didn't look at him but he knew Clarke well enough to know, that if she didn't look at you while talking, she didn't want to be spoken to.

"Okay." He said back softly. Clarke looked down at her phone screen and sighed as she turned it on.

A tear escaped her eyes as she looked at her lock screen. It was a picture of her and her dad.

"I miss him Lincoln." Clarke said as she looked up at Lincoln with red, puffy eyes. Lincoln took a deep breath before looking at his sister.

"Me too Clarke. Me too." He took a hand off the steering wheel and placed it on his sisters hand. "But we'll get through this, okay?"

Clarke fought back more tears as she gave Lincoln a sad smile, "Of course."

She sniffled and told herself to stop crying. She needed to stop letting herself become such an emotional wreck all the time.

"Have you talked to the lawyers yet?" Clarke forced herself to stifle back more tears.

"Yeah, they went over dads will again and they said that the house and everything inside it, is ours." Lincoln kept his eyes peeled on the road and incoming cars as he talked to Clarke.

"That's good." She mumbled.

"Yeah, he also left us a trust fund with two-hundred thousand dollars in it." Lincoln glanced at Clarke hoping to see a bit of joy.

"He did? He left us all that money?" She asked as she let her lips quirk up into a tiny smile.

"Yep, it's in the bank. He called it the Griffin Family Trust Fund." Lincoln said as he turned into their driveway.