promises.

(flashback)

Dan laid in the center of the living room carpet. After 2 weeks of him being there his boredom began to grow and grow as each day went by. There was nothing to do except sleep, eat, and play with toys, maybe even watch TV if the television decided to work that day.

Sometimes he would wander around the house, but not too much. He learned his lesson from the first time. Although, while looking around one day, Dan found a little closet in the laundry room which he likes to go inside of. There wasn't much inside of it, some cleaning supplies and old toys that he assumed was his mom's from when she was a kid. It made Dan feel like he was in Harry Potter when he was inside of it, which was the only real reason he liked it.

The young boy sighed and stood up from the ground. Walking into the kitchen where his grandmother was standing, Dan tried to get her attention "Grandma?" 

"Yes, dear?" She said, not looking up from the sandwich was was making.

"When is my mom and dad going to come?" He asked still standing in the kitchen doorway, watching his grandma as she finishes the sandwich and places the plate on the table. "They've had a long enough vacation."

The grandmother sighed in annoyance. This wasn't the first time Dan  had asked this question. In fact, he had asked it every day since he'd been there. "Daniel, I dont know." She said. "Come on, eat your lunch."

Dan slowly walked over to the table. "But they've been gone forever." He complains as he hops onto a chair.

Dan's grandma takes a seat across from him. "I know dear, but they'll come back soon. She promised you didn't she?" Dan gave a nod in response, picking up his turkey sandwich and taking a bite out of it. "Okay, well then you just have to trust her. Why don't you give them a call on our house phone?" She suggests.

Dan puts down his sandwich, suddenly feeling too upset to eat. "I've tried but they never pick up."

The room was silent as the young boy stared down at his plate, poking at his sandwich and the old woman The old woman looked at her grandson from across the kitchen table, feeling a bit of pity for the young boy.

"Well Daniel, if you aren't going to finish your sandwich, why don't you go ask your grandpa to take you to the park down the road." She suggested, trying to get Dan's mind off of his parents. "It would do you some good to get some sun after staying inside for 2 weeks anyways."

His grandma picked up his plate and put the sandwich in the fridge.

Sighing, Dan got up from the table and went to go find his grandpa.

Might as well, Dan thought. What else is there to do?

-

It turned out that the park wasn't as much fun as Grandma had promised.

When they got to the park his grandpa told Dan to go play then he walked over to a bench and sat down. Dan didn't really know what he was expecting. For his grandpa to go on the playground with him? He was practically ancient, of course he wouldn't. All he wanted to do is go sit on a bench and read a book, paying little to no attention to Dan.

There were plenty of kids for him to play with but no one that really caught Dan's attention. There was the kids who would not stop screaming for no reason, the kids that looked to cool for Dan to ever be around, the weird kids who pretended they were horses, and there was also a kid who sat at a table with an ice cream cone shoved halfway into his mouth.

In the end, he decided to go with the safe option, the swing set. 

Looking over to his grandpa, he sighed. At least his mom attempted to play with Dan or give him company when he would be alone, which was almost always. The boy never had any one who he considered to be a friend. But that was okay. He didn't really need anyone.