Chapter 5:Cold

Chapter 5

''Auggie, I'm home!'' Riley shouted, closing the apartment door behind her and placing her coat on the coat hanger. She shivered, feeling the warm air hit her cold body, much to her relief. Chuckling softly to herself, she folded her arms across her chest as she looked down to find a snoring Auggie lying on the couch. The television was still on, the obnoxious sound of the crowd laughing invading the silence of the apartment, and there was a bowl of popcorn on the small table in front of him.

He would at times wait for her to get back from work (which would often be pretty late), and like she predicted, the poor boy had fallen asleep once again. Lightly shaking him, she heard him mumble something under his breath. ''Auggie, wake up, come on. It's time to go to bed''

''Okay,'' Auggie yawned, rising from the couch, and not even bothering to open his eyes. Gradually making his way to his room, Riley watched closely so that he wouldn't bump into anything.

Her lips tucked up into a grin, as he opened the door to his bedroom.''Goodnight, Auggie''

''Night, mom''

It hadn't been the first time that had happened, and Riley could still feel the rush of emotion that fell upon her when she had first heard Auggie say that. It'd only been a few months since their parents passing, and Riley had first started working at Topanga's since Shawn couldn't afford to pay all the bills. Auggie had only been around eight, and in his innocent mind, he'd figured it had been their mother who'd wished him goodnight.

Riley cried that night for the first time since their parents' funeral, and since then, she's become more accustomed to Auggie's occasional slipups.

Tiredly walking back to her room and closing the door behind her, she was more than surprised to see a shivering Farkle sitting outside her bay window. His hair was messier than usual, he had his hoodie wrapped tightly around himself and even through the closed window, she could practically hear his teeth chattering.

His gaze soon met hers, and she wasted no time rushing over and opening the window. The cold breeze suddenly hit her, causing her to wrap her arms around herself. ''Farkle?''

''H-Hey, R-Riley'' he said, smiling.

''How long have you been out here?''

''I t-thought you'd be home b-by eight, so I's s-say around two and a half h-hours''

She sighed, stepping aside. ''Well, I'm not going to let you freeze to death'' she mumbled.

Farkle sent her a grateful glance, as he basically rushed inside the room. Closing the window, Riley turned to look at a shaking Farkle. Grabbing an old blanket laying on her bean bag chair, she handed it to him. ''Here''

''T-Thanks'' the boy murmured, wrapping it around himself.

She nodded, turning on the lights to her bedroom. ''Are you here to apologize again? Because if so, I don't wanna hear it''

''Just please listen to me, Riley'' Farkle said, sitting on the edge of her bed. ''I know you don't want to hear me out. Just five minutes is all I'm asking for, and after that, you never have to talk to me ever again''

Staring intently into his pleading eyes, she sighed. ''Alright, you get five minutes''

''Thank you,'' he took a deep breath, as she gradually walked over to his side and sat next to him. She didn't look at him, though, seeing as his eyes often brought the anger to fade away. ''Riley, I made a mistake, and I know that I deserve every one of your rejections. I left and never kept in touch, and believe me when I say that I know you deserve so much better, but I missed you every second I was away''