His Maid, the Author

April nervously took Nathaniel’s hand when she and Sebastian returned from their dance. The strangeness of his eyes was reminiscent of Sebastian’s when she first met him- but they were also strangely familiar. As he led her out onto the floor, she looked back at her master and his butler. They looked at her differently now. When she first entered the household as head maid, Ciel and Sebastian regarded her with respectful indifference- now, there was concern in their eyes. Sebastian though, was a bit different. A part of her was hoping it was love, but a more logical part of her told her it was just her imagination. Why would he love her? She wasn’t anything special.

“You look ravishing, my dear,” said Nathaniel, twirling her before taking her hip. She cringed at his touch. Sebastian was far gentler and more graceful. Nathaniel was clumsy in his footing and held her too roughly.

“I am engaged, Lord Reuben,” she said, playfully swatting his arm. Her insides were crawling though, and she secretly wanted to smack him with a fire poker.

He chuckled in return. “What a shame he snatched you up first then. You are truly a gem.”

“You are too kind,” she answered.

He leaned in closer, his breath disgusting and hot as he whispered, “why don’t we go elsewhere, my dear? Where your watchful fiancé won’t see us, hmm?”

This is it, she thought. She tried her best to smile coyly at him. “Oh? Where would that be?”

“There is a secluded room near the back of the mansion. I stumbled upon it while looking for a room to rest in. There’s a large fireplace that’s already been prepared and rather comfortable arrangements.” He tilted his head away from her and winked.

“When shall we meet there?” she murmured.

“In twenty minutes. We shall leave the ballroom separately to not draw attention.”

“Of course.”

They finished their dance, and Nathaniel brought April back to Sebastian and Ciel, bowing slightly. “Your lady is truly a wonderful dancer,” he said. “Now, if you’ll pardon me…” He nodded at Ciel and walked away, in the direction of the room he’d pointed out to her.

When she turned to Sebastian, he was speaking to her. She read his lips: “What did he say?”

“I shall tell you,” she replied.

Outside of the mansion, a mysterious presence watched the throng of dancers through the floor-to-ceiling windows lining the walls of the ballroom. Angry storm clouds were gathering, and a roar shook the sky as fat drops of rain began to fall over the party. A flash of lightning revealed Grell Sutcliff, grinning devilishly, reading from a yellowed piece of parchment. “Ah, Bassy,” he clucked. “With you around, I don’t know if I’d be able to focus on my job for the night. But alas-” he dramatically touched the back of his hand to his forehead and whipped his head back. “-my work has yet again come in between our passionate rendezvous! Maybe once I’ve completed my task, I shall allow you to embrace me for but a moment! Ohhh! I just tingle at the thought of your lips caressing the hollow of my neck, your hands exploring my body, and…”

He babbled on, fully aware of the time he had until he reaped his next soul. He swooned, his chainsaw-scythe dangling from the branch of the tree he was perched in, and it swayed with his movement. It would finally claim a soul tonight, after a long time.

April inhaled deeply, closing her hand around the doorknob. “I have much faith in you,” Sebastian’s voice rang in her head.

She smiled to herself. “Thank you, Sebastian,” she whispered. “I have faith in you as well.” She swung open the door and stepped inside, instantly greeted by the roar of a crackling fire and Nathaniel seated on a chaise longue. “Hello,” he said, standing up.