Day 4

Mr. Rome was practically hopping with excitement in class Monday. We all waited patiently for him to explain what's got him all worked up.

"Did you feel that energy on Friday?" he asks us. "Did you see how excited everyone was because of us? That's our job as a pep band. We want to create that kind of energy every time we play, especially this Friday. I don't know what got into everyone last week, but it was sure something." He acts like an excited child on Christmas.

I smile when I hear what he's got to say. Alfred really made a difference for us at the last game. The band begins to murmur excitedly, and several people look at me. They must think I'm the reason Alfred was watching us. I try not to blush thinking about it. They're probably right.

"I can't believe that git pulled through for us," Arthur says to no one in particular.

"Have a little more faith in your cousin," I tell him. "He's not a bad guy."

"I guess," he grumbles in response.

"Just because he dropped band, doesn't mean he's a bad person."

"How do you know about that?" Arthur asks as he snaps his head up to look at me.

"I asked," I say simply.

"That doesn't mean you understand." 

"Well help me Arthur. Help me understand what it is about him you despise so much." I'm starting to lose my patience with him. He can be so stubborn sometimes, and it drives me nuts.

"Maybe later," he says with a sigh. He turns away and listens to instructions from the drum major that is currently speaking. I also turn away to listen. I'm determined to find out the truth no matter what, so he better be ready. 

Rehearsal, later in the evening, is brutal. Mr. Rome must be trying to make up for the fact that we didn't have one Friday. He makes us run the show top to bottom three times in a row, then he starts going through it with a fine tooth comb. We run certain parts over and over again because he thinks we're moving too slow, or he thinks we're going too fast. 

Even the drum majors are becoming frustrated with the amount of stopping and starting we're doing, but everyone knows it's important to make all of this perfect. Especially this year. After that performance at the football game, people will be paying close attention to us in the field show, or at least we're hoping they will. And so we have 4 days to make our routine perfect.

Everyone is hot, tired, and sore when we're finally dismissed. Sometimes I complain about carrying a saxophone, but the drum like has it worse. Roderich and his section look like they're about to fall over from exhaustion. The only ones that seem like they'll make it to the band room without a problem are the cymbal players, and that's because they have hardly anything to carry. 

"So what's the deal Arthur?" I ask when I finally catch up to him. He's been trying to avoid me ever since we talked during band class.

He sighs and gives me a sideways glance. "I'm mad at Alfred because he quit band. That much is true," Arthur finally says. "But it's more than that." He pauses. "We used to be really good friends when we were little. We played together a lot, and I enjoyed it quite a bit." A small smile appears on Arthur's face. "But then we started growing up, and everything changed. We didn't like the same things anymore, so band was the last thing we really had in common." He clenches his fist. "Then he went and quit that too, the stupid git."

"Arthur-"

"Just don't (y/n)," he says cutting me off. "If you like him, fine, by all means please do. But you can't expect me to like him too. He was one of my only friends, and he left me alone after all those years." Arthur turns and walks away leaving me stunned. 

"Didn't go the way you planned, huh?"

I turn to find Alfred walking toward me. "How much did you hear?"

"Enough," he states quietly. I assume that means everything. "I didn't know I meant that much to him at the time."

"You can't feel guilty about that," I say reassuringly. "You were just pursuing your dreams."

"Yeah, I guess so." I can tell he's not convinced.

"Where would the football team be without you today?"

"Hmmm," Alfred hums as he thinks about what I said. "I guess you have a point."

"Don't feel bad about the choices you made," I tell him. "You pursed things you love, and he did the same. I'm sure Arthur will come around eventually. You just have to keep trying."

"Okay," he answers. A smile is starting to form on his face. "You should get moving hun. We're the last ones out here."

I take his advise and go inside to put my stuff away. The room is bustling as people hustle to put their instruments away too. Leaving rehearsal is the only thing that will get people hustling after an intense rehearsal like tonight's. I go back outside to find Alfred when I finally get my stuff out away. He's surrounded by some giggly girls, but he quickly disengages himself from their circle when he sees me.

"Always the charmer," I say teasingly.

"Sorry," he says with a chuckle. "I have to do what I can for the ones who don't get me to themselves like you." If that didn't make me blush, then the wink he gave me afterwards  did. 

"L-let's go," I stutter out embarrassed.

"HAHAHA!" Alfred laughs. He grabs my hand and leads me to his truck. I'm glad he's in a better mood than before. 

After we get settled inside, he starts the truck and pulls out of his spot. We sit in silence for a little while until I remember what we had talked about in band class earlier in the day.

"The band is really grateful for what you did at the game Friday," I tell Alfred. "We've never been noticed like that before."

"No problem!" he replies with a big grin. "It was lots of fun! You guys sound great!"

I laugh at his enthusiasm. "Well, we do practice a lot, so I'm glad it pays off."

"That's something I really like about you," Alfred says in a soft voice.

I turn to look at him confused. "What?"

He gives me a quick glance. "I like that you work hard, and you're committed to the band."

I try hard not to blush at his compliment. "Thanks," I say. "But that's what everyone at school is like."

"Yeah, I guess so," Alfred agrees. "But I like your intensity the best!" He grins widely, and my heart pounds faster in my chest. I'm not sure what he means exactly, but I do know he's being sincere.

He reaches out to take my hand, and gives it a squeeze. I find that I'm actually starting to like holding his hand. It's big and warm, and makes me feel safe. We drive in silence and just enjoy each others presence. I wouldn't mind driving with Alfred forever, if I ever get the chance.