Chapter Twelve

Bria didn't know the first thing about Key traveling but had seen Lord Reylor construct enough of them to know they were never to be considered a toy. She felt guilty for stealing the book but knew that if she had any chance of getting help or returning home it would be the one item she would need to exemplify the severity of her request.

She didn't think Reylor was aware she knew about the notes he scribbled in the margins, or the coordinates he wrote along the back cover.

Mainly, those that pinpointed the Empress' home within the Otherrealm.

Bria didn't know if it would work. She had heard enough of the orb conversations between Reylor and the minions and knew for a fact that there were remaining portals within the realm that had never been used.

She had banked on one of those remaining active and knew it was a deadly gamble if her instincts were incorrect.

Luckily, the minions were never ones to cover their tracks, and as the moon rose upon its apex, Bria has readied herself within her small cabin and made the leap of faith to save her lord and her Empire.

She didn't know where she ended up, and it took her almost five days to decipher the location of the Empress' whereabouts, but she did it.

A lowly Mistress was about to save the world.

She hesitated for a moment. She knew she looked as though she had seen one too many battles of her own, and she hadn't left the royal family on the best of pretenses.

One doesn't betray the Empress, steal their newborn and stab the Crown Prince through the back and expect a positive reception.

But she had no choice- it was this, swallowing her pride and accepting her fate- or allowing the Councillor to manipulate her lord into depths deeper and darker than he had already fallen.

Releasing a breath, she straightened her satchel on her shoulder, squared her shoulders, and solidified her resolve as she reached through the door's black-iron gate and knocked on the door of the Empress' apartment.