The Lost Girl

The two weeks were up as Ariel and Eric's castle came into view. Emma was in her cabin packing the rest of her things. She gripped the crystal at her neck and was grateful it was the middle of the day. She had several more hours before she had to find a lake.

As she felt the Jewel of the Realm come to a stop and made her way on deck, Liam stopped her.

"Lieutenant Jones will help you with your bags and will continue to check up on you this trip," he said, though Emma could tell he wasn't exactly pleased by it.

"That isn't necessary, Captain. I assure you I can take care of myself."

"Of that, Your Highness, I have no doubt, but your father wanted to be sure of your protection," Liam told her.

Emma rolled her eyes at her father's antics before she agreed. It wasn't as if Emma didn't like the lieutenant – Killian, as she had gotten away with calling him – even though he and his brother refused to call her anything but "Your Highness" or "Princess." In fact, it was quite the opposite, but he was so closed off. But there something about Killian that made Emma want to get to know him – although, every time she tried, he pushed her away. It was rather exhausting, but Emma did always like a challenge.

However, Emma quickly pushed those thoughts aside – she had to stay focused. As soon as she saw Ariel, she would fill her in.

That plan, however, proved to be futile. Ariel had met them at the docks, and as soon as the red-head saw Emma, she wrapped her in a hug and began going on about this luncheon she had planned.

Emma quickly protested, "You didn't have to go to all that trouble. I actually have something I need to..."

But Ariel cut her off, "It's the least I could do for my goddaughter." Emma smiled and nodded as she and Killian followed Ariel to the castle.

This wasn't the first time Emma had visited Eric and Ariel's castle, so she remembered where the guest rooms were. She led the way with Killian behind her. As he placed her bags on the bed, Emma said, "Thank you, Killian."

"Of course, Your Highness."

As he turned to leave, Emma asked, "Do you want to go for a walk?"

"I really should get back to the ship," Killian answered. "I think Liam can stand to miss you for a couple hours. Besides, you're both invited to the luncheon," Emma told him.

Killian really couldn't find a reason to disagree, so he simply nodded.

LDLDLDLDLD

As Killian and Emma traipsed through the woods, Killian watched Emma curiously. He had tried not to dwell on her for too long, but he was failing. He knew she was a princess – she had the grace of a royal, but she was also different. For starters, she insisted on being called by her given name. She seemed uncomfortable with large gatherings and with being fussed over. He could also tell she wasn't exactly keen on wearing dresses all the time. In fact, on the two-week voyage, she'd worn what appeared to be riding trousers with a loose fitting shirt several times (not that he was paying attention). Killian, however, chose to attribute all that to the stresses and strains of being royalty and nothing else.

Killian didn't realize how wrapped up he had been in his own thoughts until he had nearly mowed over the princess when she had stopped. Killian moved to stand beside her as she breathed a sigh of relief at the sight of a lake.

"I take it this is what you were looking for, Your Highness," Killian said.

As she jumped at the sound of his voice, Killian guessed she must have been lost in her thoughts as well.