Chapter 2: Coming

Halfway down the stairs, Penny stopped. Her body was tingling, like the feeling when her leg would fall asleep. Only this wasn't just her leg.

Glancing down, Penny stared in shock and amazement at her hands, which seemed to be, somehow, glowing. She could see her entire body lit up with an orangish light, illuminating the dim stairwell. Am I still dreaming?

And, before Penny's astonished eyes, the fiery image of wings that closely resembled those from her dream rose from her back, transparent but still seeming real.

Oh my gosh, Penny thought. This is... I can't believe it. She had always wished for some kind of magic like in the fantasy books she read, but magic... it only existed in books.

I really, really hope I'm not dreaming.

A voice echoed throughout the house.

"Phoenix."

***

Just as Alex recalled the creatures of his dream, something inside him shifted. He, at least, knew what was happening. How many stories had his parents told him about the Coming, as it was called?

He sprinted downstairs. "Mom! Dad! It's happening!"

Alex's parents rushed to his aid. It was always exciting, the Coming of a new Magicae on their thirteenth birthday. What would his power be?

Alex was surprised when his parents stepped away from him. They seemed... afraid. Then he saw the cause of their caution. The glowing blue form of a dragon reared up around him.

"Dragon."

***

Juliette began walking to the other room to wake up Margaret, the image unicorn still in her thoughts. Stop it! Juliette told herself firmly once again.

As she passed her father's bedroom, Juliette shuddered with a sudden chill. Her fingertips tingled. Just the air conditioning kicking in, she reasoned, despite the fact the the AC hadn't worked for months.

Suddenly, Juliette felt... different. Taller, more powerful. Turning her head, she saw the purpleish, transparent, glowing shape of a prancing horse surrounding her body.
But it wasn't an simple horse. Somehow, she could sense something rising out of her forehead.

No no no no no no no. This isn't happening. I'm just dreaming. There isn't some hologram of— of a unicorn around me. It isn't scientifically possible.

Then she heard the voice echoing around the room.

"Unicorn."