Sarah Freaking Hart

Author's Note: Sorry for the short chapter! The next part will be pretty long which is why I decided to break it up.

We stay tangled up, kissing each other, for a while. Just us and the hum of Sandor's computers.

John pulls away after a couple minutes of making out, and leans against my shoulder. "Nine, I do need to talk to you about Sarah though."

"Oh." My heart skips a beat. Obviously I didn't choose someone available to crush on, but I was kinda hoping we could forget about that pesky human girl. I'd like to pretend that she's super rude and mean, and since I haven't met her, it's easy to imagine. So the evil little blonde is stealing away my man. "What about Sarah?"

John sighs. I can feel every single movement he makes as he rests his chin on my shoulder. And I can't ignore the pounding coming from his chest. The only question is who that heart is beating for. "Nine, I obviously love both of you-"

"But you love Sarah more."

"I don't know. I- it's difficult."

"Johnny, please tell me you won't drag me into some polygamy shit."

He chuckles a bit. "No, of course not. But Sarah is still missing. I don't know what she told the government, and I don't know if I should trust her. I won't be able to make any decisions until I talk to her."

I roll my eyes and take a step back from John, leaving a gap between us. "So you're making me into your bitch."

"No-"

"Then I'm just a standby until you can get your girl."

"No!-"

"So I'm your personal toy for you to play with in bed?" It sounds ridiculous but I mean it. I don't want to be some full-time prostitute.

"Shut the fuck up, I literally just said that I love you." John pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs. I probably shouldn't be making him feel bad, but I refuse to be a filler lover. Is that even a thing? I just don't want him to break my heart. I may seem hard, but this heart is fragile as fuck.

"Sorry." I murmur. "I just meant that I love you and I was kinda hoping you love me."

"I do. It's just..."

"Sarah Freaking Hart."

"Sarah Freaking Hart." He confirms. He spaces out and laughs to himself. It annoys me beyond belief that he's recalling memories of Sarah and not me. Not that he has any memories of me. Guess I'll have to make those memories in the coming years. Assuming that we live that long. War kinda does that.

***

Days fly by and my crazy, whacked-up romance with John continues. During the day we bicker like usual, but at night we snuggle and make out. Bernie Kosar disapproves, but is learning to deal with it. Tons of crazy shit happens. We drove straight to New Mexico. Dulce Base to be exact. And that's where I meet Sarah Freaking Hart.