3 Years

(unedited)

3 years ago

Luke and Ashton sat on the floor of Luke's basement across from each other and legs intertwined. Luke had his guitar on his lap and he was lazily strumming on it while Ashton was trying to talk to him.

"We can go to the beach together when you come visit, and we can walk down Hollywood together! It'll be so fun!" Ashton told his boyfriend excitedly, flipping through his college brochure and marking sections that he wanted to go back to with small sticky notes. When he didn't hear a reply, he looked up to see Luke focused on his guitar rather than him. He frowned. "Luke." He said loudly, trying to get his boyfriend's attention. The blond grunted in response, shooting the brunet a quick glance with his blue eyes before looking back down at his acoustic guitar.

"You are going to visit me, right?" Ashton asked hopefully.

"Yeah, sure." The blond said in a neutral tone, not bothering to look up from his guitar. Ashton looked at his boyfriend who didn't seem to pay any attention to him and sighed softly. He shook any sad thoughts out of his head before looking down at the brochure and piping up again.

"Maybe we can hike up to the Hollywood sign and have a picnic there too! Calum said that when he went on vacation there with Michael's family, they did that and they had a lot of fun." Ashton suggested, already picturing how romantic everything would be. Luke scoffed.

"You and I both know we hate anything that has to do with exercising." Luke stated. Ashton paused. He did know, but it was the thought that counts, right? He looked back down at his brochure and sadly folded it up and placed it back into his bag. He untangled his legs from Luke's and stood up.

"I'm gonna go now, you seem a bit preoccupied." Ashton muttered, grabbing his bag and slinging it over his shoulders. Luke hummed in response, still keeping his eyes concentrated on the neck of his guitar where his fingers were pressing down on the frets while he was strumming. The blond did nothing but grunt in response.

"I love you." Ashton added before leaving. He waited for the blond to respond, and when he didn't he sighed sadly before trudging up the stairs to leave.

Present Day

Ashton had no idea what went wrong. He tried his best to repress that memory all the way in the back of his mind. They ended up breaking up two days after graduation, Ashton doesn't really remember the details, he just knows that it happened. He felt his phone vibrate in his pocket.

From: Calum

I didn't know you were back in Sydney! Why didn't you tell me? Can we meet up soon?

Ashton smiled slightly, wondering how his best friend knew that he was back in town. It was probably his mum. It's always his mum. He decided instead of texting back, he would dial his number and call him. After two rings, his raven haired best friend picked up.

"Ashton! Why didn't you tell me you were back? I had to hear from my mum because yours told her." He heard Calum's false angry tone. He laughed slightly. Of course it was his mum.

"Sorry, mate. Sorta forgot." Ashton said, ruffling his hand through his brunet curls. He really needed to get a haircut.

"Thanks, Ash. Forgetting about your best friend." Calum grumbled from the other line and letting out a few creative profanities. Ashton smiled fondly at his voice. "Anyways, let's meet up soon. We have so much to catch up on!"

After Ashton and Calum agreed to meet up for lunch in exactly a week (when classes ended for the raven haired man and enough time to get that haircut), the two hung up hesitantly, not wanting to stop talking.