C3: Story behind her eyes

We'd been driving for what seemed like 8 hours, and finally we stop at some deserted open field, nothing but dead grass and crap like that. She opens her door, stepping out, signaling me to follow behind with which I did.

"Isn't it beautiful? No other people, the open sky, don't you love it?"

She said starring at the sky as if she's never seen it before, I had to admit though, it was quite breathtaking.

"You can see the stars perfectly from here, its like you can touch them."

"You come here a lot?" I ask her, I'm sure its not her first time here.

"Yeah, I guess you could say I come a lot. Get my mind off of things."

"Things like what?" God Niall, don't hound the girl with questions.

"Like things." I guess she closed the conversation, so much for that.

She took a seat on the grass, keeping her focus on the stars.

"Don't you ever have to like... take time away from everything?" She questioned.

"Yeah, sometimes. It can get rough."

"Yeah, I'm sure. With millions of fans that love you, and have girls throw themselves at you endlessly everywhere you go. Sounds like a tough life." She was always a good one for sarcasm.

"It does get stressful believe it or not, always have people do that because you're suppose to be 'famous'. You miss being treated normally sometimes, not for your name but because you're human."

She averted her gaze to me, then back to the sky.

"Sorry for being sarcastic...I'm sure it really is hard."

"It's alright, can't blame you. It's not as pretty as the cameras make it out to be."

Silence grew loud between us.

"So, if you don't mind me asking... What happened?" I broke the tension.

"What happened... Where?"

"Like, with you. I mean, you seem different, a lot different from the last time I saw you. For goodness sake, I actually see the skin above your knees." I chuckled. She laughed, God I missed that laugh.

"I don't know, I grew up NJ, people do that ya'know."

Brushing her fingers through her hair, behind her ear, revealing a tattoo there. I nearly fainted, McKenzie would never, ever even dream about a tattoo on her body. Well, not the old McKenzie.

"Yeah, I guess...So, you never told me, hows your family?" There goes that tension again.

"I don't talk about them."

"Why not?"

"Because...they're nonexistent."

"...Excuse me?"

"I mean, I don't have any to speak of, to give you an update on."

I didn't know exactly what to say... I knew something must've happened. I knew it.

"Well, except Izzy, and Dorian, they're doing alright.'

Her little sister and brother. Her siblings were her world.

"What about Isaiah?"

She got quite.

"He um... he passed. Almost a year and a half ago."

"Oh my god, Kennie I'm so sorry, wh-what happened?"

"You know, we should probably get going. I'm sure your people or whatever are looking for you."

"No one-"

"Let's just go, alright?"

With that she stood and made her way to the car, sliding into the passenger seat.

What could've happened to Isaiah? He watched over Kennie like she was his own child instead of his younger sister. Maybe it explains why she is the way she is...I know there has to be a story behind this girl, this new girl. And, I plan on figuring it out.