Chapter Eighteen; Heartbeat

I watch as a woman puts a clear blue liquid onto my stomach. I shiver slightly, grabbing onto Josh's hand. It's things like this that I'm just not used to. I'm never exposed to pregnant women, I don't think I've ever gone to a proper checkup, and I'm certainly not used to such a lowkey lifestyle. I.... Like it. A lot. I wish things could be like this all the time.

Josh and I left his parents' house after about a week. We figured it'd be a good time to get back into the swing of things in LA. I look around the small room at the doctor's office. This is one of the only times in LA that I haven't had paparazzi breathing down my neck. The nurse gives me a warm smile.

"Is this your first baby?" She asks. I chuckle, looking over to Josh. Most people would know that it's our first baby, because we're both actors. I simply nod, though. Maybe she really doesn't know who we are.

"It is," I say.

"That's wonderful." She says. "Are the two of you hoping for a boy or a girl?" I look over to Josh, and the both of us shrug. I haven't even thought about genders or names yet.

"We will be happy with either gender." I say. "As long as the baby is healthy."

She nods, looking at the monitor. "So, it looks like you're about twelve weeks. That's about three months." She brings a weird sonogram looking thing to my stomach, pressing the blue liquid down and moving it around. "You're going to hear the heartbeat in a few seconds," she says, and sure enough, a small little thud bellows throughout the room. I smile, looking over to Josh who has the happiest look on his face.

"That's our baby, Josh." I say, choking back tears.

"I love you so much, Jen." Josh says, grasping my hand.

"Oh, my, God." I hear the nurse say. "That's how I recognized you! You're Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson!"

+++

"What time is everyone coming over?" I ask, leaning back on the reclining chair. Josh smiles, sitting next to me. We invited Liam, Jena and her boyfriend, Sam and his wife, Laura, Willow, Natalie, Woody, Donald, and Elizabeth over for dinner and a small reunion. We also plan on telling them about our engagement and the baby.

"Liam is picking up Willow and Woody on his way. They're coming at 3:00. I believe everyone else is coming at 3:30."

"Why are they coming earlier than everyone else?" I ask.

Josh shrugs. "I think Liam wanted to introduce us to his new girlfriend."

"Oh." I say, looking towards the clock. It says 2:57. I look back over towards Josh, offering him a smile. "We're going to have a baby running around here soon."

"Well, not here." Josh says. "The baby will be in our house in Kentucky."

"Right." I say, completely forgetting that I told Josh I wanted to raise the baby in Kentucky. It's going to be weird leaving Los Angeles and going back to a normal life. I know it's for the best, though.

I walk over to the kitchen, grabbing some potato chips and sitting on the couch. About five minutes later, we hear the doorbell ring.

Josh and I go to our front door, opening it up to see Liam standing with Miley, Willow and Woody behind him. I exchange a confused glance with Josh, before Willow and Woody run and engulf the two of us in a hug. Liam joins in, and I savor every moment with my very best friends.

"What the hell, Liam? When did this happen?" I ask, looking towards Miley's finger that wears a large engagement ring. The two of them laugh, and Liam smiles widely.

"I hope you don't mind that Miley came. We actually wanted to tell you guys the good news... That we're getting back together."

"That's great!" I say, hugging Miley. "It's been a while, but it's nice to see you. Make yourself at home."

"Thanks so much." She says, walking with Willow, Josh, and Woody into the living room.

"I want details later." I whisper, turning to Liam.

"I'll give details when we're alone." He says, chuckling. He walks towards the living area, but I grab his hand, pulling him back.

"I have to tell you something, and you have to stay calm. You're my best friend, so I wanted to tell you before everyone. Just... Act surprised later."

"Okay." Liam says, nodding. "What's up?"

"Josh and I are engaged." I say, biting my lip. Liam's face lights up, and he smiles widely, before covering his mouth with his hands.

"Oh my god, when did that happen? I'm so happy for the two of you."

"A few weeks ago." I say. "But... That's not all. I'm pregnant."

"Pregnant?" Liam asks excitedly.

"Yes. I'm pregnant." I say, smiling. Now come on, let's go. They're probably wondering what we're doing over here.

+++

The whole crew sits in the living room, feasting on pizza like old times. I sit next to Josh, grasping his hand. "Should we tell them?" I ask quietly. He nods.

"Okay," I say excitedly, turning to Josh. "So Josh and I have been best friends for years, and we've been together a pretty long time..."

I'm cut off by Jena, who gasps. "Oh my god, are you guys engaged?"

"Um," I say, looking towards Josh. "Yes."

The whole table stands up, running towards Josh and I to hug us.

"Can I please help plan the wedding?" Willow asks, smiling. I nod.

"I want all of you girls to be bridesmaids!" I exclaim. "My friend Laura is going to be the maid of honor, and Amy will also be a bridesmaid. "However, the wedding may either have to happen soon or in a year or so... Because I'm pregnant!"