Chapter 3

When Scarlett got home her parents were still at work, they wouldn't be home until 6:00pm at the most. She went to her room and did her homework, while she was busy working away she heard something downstairs.

"Are mom and dad here already?" She questioned herself out-loud. She walked out of her bedroom and leaned over the stairs railings. "Mom!" She called out for her, no reply. "Dad?" She called out, no reply. "Anyone!" She yelled, no reply.

Standing back up, straight, she walked back to her room. Her phone ringed, notifying that someone messaged her. When she picked it up she was more than happy to see that it was from her best friend, Violette, from King City.

The message read:

Bestie: Scar, I'm dying without you!

Scarlett: me too! We should get together sometime!

Oddly, she felt very lonely. Suddenly she had the urge to be around people, Violette. Considering the fact that she has been an only child for her entire life it is normal to her. But for some strange reason she felt as though she were hallow and empty of life.

Violette and Scarlett were the 'twin' sisters that the Frost family wanted as well as Violette's parents, they had been with each other through thick and thin. Scarlett smiled thinking about how they met. Scarlett had gone to visit her grandparents for spring break, they lived in a rural area. When she went to the carnival that week, all the farmers in the area hosted, she bumped into a girl who was sobbing because she was lost and couldn't find her parents.

Mr. and Mrs. Frost did the wise thing any parent would in a situation like that and comforted Violette, she was only eight years old, she was a smart eight year old. She knew her parents' phone number so Mr. and Mrs.

Frost called Violette's parents as soon as possible. As the day went on Violette's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Star, came over to the Frost's grandparent's home and everything went smoothly from there.

Scarlett let out a loud sigh and went back to doing her work, she continued and heard some shuffling noises from downstairs. She was curious the first few times but now it irritated her. She slapped her textbook shut in aggregation and ran down the stairs.

"Who is it?!" she yelled. It was dead silent, until the shuffling starting again. She walked infuriatingly towards the sound, it came from the kitchen. She got closer then she realized the noise was of feet shuffling.

"Hello?" She asked out loud.

Then, it stopped.

"Scarlett, sweety, we're home!" Scarlett whipped her head around and faced her parents who were entering the doorway.

Her face was still serious and full of confusion and distress. She was fed up of the shuffling and just told herself it was nothing.

"What's wrong Scarlett?" Her father, James Frost, asked.

"Nothing," she held her forehead, "I thought I heard something."

"Well, It is an old house, so it probably makes creaky noises?" Her mother explained while questioning herself.

"Whatever it was, its not that big of a deal, now let's eat!" Her father started, "because we brought Chinese!" He raised his hand that he hid behind his back and revealed Scarlett's favourite food.

She smiled at their attempt to cheer her up because of her home sickness. But it actually worked.

"You guys are the best." She said quietly with a bright smile.

They sat in their new family room and watched t.v while eating Chinese take-out.

The night came to end and the next morning Scarlett nearly missed her bus. She gladly stepped in and found herself a seat. Being a freshman had it's ups and downs, but at this point it's...down! She looked hopelessly for a seat and finally found one.

"Excuse me, do you mind if I sit here?" She asked politely full of hope.

The person didn't respond, to her when she saw his earphones were the reason why he couldn't hear anything, so she tapped his shoulder.

"Oh sorry," he pulled them out then looked up at her, "Scarlett?" He asked.

"Eric?" She asked back, she took a seat assuming he allowed her to sit with him.

"I never knew you lived in my area?" She asked with a grin.

"No? You're living in my area." He said back making her laugh.

"So, do you like Nightshade?" Eric asked inquisitively.

She paused for a second and thought about what she should say because she didn't want to offend Eric.

"I am trying my best to get used to the area, I really miss King City, but I guess i'll like it here too." She replied.

"Well, don't worry, i'll make that possible." he gave her a charming smile, showing off his bright white teeth and winked at her. She giggled in return.

"Eric, please, don't flirt with me. It doesn't suit you." She laughed a little louder. He grinned and looked down.

Suddenly, the bus driver honked his horn for about ten seconds and frantically turned left, everyone on the bus slanted to the right drastically. The senior students started to scream, then the juniors, then the sophomores and then the freshmens.

The bus fell on its side, the windows broke and the bus' emergency sirens blared out loudly! Scarlett fell on Eric, he wrapped his arms around her, so did the others throughout the bus due to fear. But Scarlett nor Eric were scared, they were curious.

Eric got up and went to the back of the bus, Scarlett got up and went to the front. She gasped when she saw that the bus driver had lost conscious with blood smeared on his forehead. Some of the senior boys in the back were talking to Eric then they kicked the jammed back exit door together.

"Okay everyone! The girl in the back will lead you all out! Stay calm!" One of the senior boys yelled out loud and clear.

Scarlett started to lead each passenger from the school bus out and lastly herself. She held both the seniors' hands at the exit as the helped her jump off.

"Thanks." She let out a sigh.

"No problem, you were good, you stayed calm." The same senior student complimented her. He stuck his hand out, "I'm Ryan."

She shook his hand, "I'm Scarlett and new to Nightshade." She gave him a closed mouth smile and he nodded.

Eric cleared his throat, "Scarelett, are you okay?" Eric puffed out his chest.

Ryan chuckled, "i'll leave you two alone."

"How did this happened?" One of the students asked out loud.

Scarlett and Eric were wondering the same so they went over to the front of the bus and saw that there was a black SUV that was toppled over.

"Oh my gosh, we have to go help that person!" Scarlett shouted out. She ran over and knelt down on the drivers side but no one was inside. Eric came up next to her and stared at the SUV in confusion just as Scarlett was.

"How is that possible?" Eric asked. There was no driver inside the vehicle!

She looked up to him, slowly stood up and half whispered, "I don't know?"

_____________________________________

A/N

Hey, Lovelies,

Hope this chapter leaves you anticipated to read the next!

-xoangelxo <3