Part 26

Chapter 26

Jaxon leaned back in his chair, watching with a smile as Amy wolfed down her sandwich across from him. Her eyes darted in his direction as she swallowed her bite and smiled back. "You're not going to eat?"

He pushed his sandwich towards her. "I'll make me another."

Her cheeks blushed a light pink as she shook her head at him. "One's enough for me."

"What, are you going to be shy now? I didn't forget the way you stole my omelet."

The pink darkened to red. "You kept talking and talking. If I didn't stuff my mouth with something, I would have interrupted you every two seconds with a question." She smiled. "So, in reality, I was helping you, not stealing your food."

As the last word left her mouth, she took a giant bite of his sandwich with a smile. He shook his head at her as a small chuckle left his mouth. "So, are you really going to tell Logan where to go?"

She paused, her food halfway towards her mouth. Easing the sandwich back onto the plate, she pushed it away. "Greg won't go with him. I know him well enough to know that he won't trust anything that my brothers have to say, especially after the things they kept from me. If they wouldn't even tell me that he'd called after we broke up, how does Greg know that they'll actually give me the information or bring him here so he can talk to me?" She shook her head with a sad smile on her face. "No matter how much I trust my family, I can't trust them to actually think about Greg's best interests."

"You're amazing," he whispered, not being able to keep the words from flowing past his lips.

A small crinkle of confusion lined her forehead. "What?"

"You," he said, shaking his head. "The guy was a complete jerk to you. He broke your heart, and here you are, sitting across from me telling me that you're going to risk your life for him just because you don't think that your brothers will care about protecting him." He paused, but when the confusion didn't completely leave her face, he reached out and placed his hand over hers. "You're amazing.  He did something to you that not a lot of people could forgive. You learn to forgive and move on. It's more than I could ever do."

"I haven't moved on." The words slashed at his heart, but he kept his mouth shut. "The pain is still there, and believe me, I still want to punch him in the face every time I think of that day."

"But..."

"But," she continued with a smile, "I know the news was a shock to him. He'd talked about wanting kids so much when we were together. Me not being able to have them was just too much."

His grip tightened on her hand. "Hell, the man's an idiot. We've talked about this before. Anyone who would walk away from you for something like that didn't actually love you. Relationships have hard times. It's not what hits you, but how you deal with it. He should have handled it different. Although," he started with a large smile, "I can't lie and say that I'm not happy that he was an idiot."

Surprised laughter fell from her mouth as she turned her hand palm up and tightened her grip on his hand. "Thank you, Jaxon. Seriously, thank you."

He brushed the words aside. She didn't need to thank him. After all the things that her and her family were doing to help him, the very least he could do was make her smile. "Now, let's get back to the fact that you plan on sneaking out as soon as you can without your brothers."

Green eyes widened at him. "How did you know?"

"I guess I just know you too well. You aren't going to let Logan and me go by ourselves, and he won't let you come with us. So, you and I will just have to go." He frowned. "I just don't know how. I don't have a car, and I'm pretty sure I saw Logan pocket your keys as soon as we walked into the house."